Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Question? Need your opinion guys

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 auto1571

auto1571

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

Okay I am now using a free trial of Eset Smart Security 7 as well Malwarebytes anti-malware which I will buy as soon as I get paid next. However I have also been a bit torn as to whether or not include  SuperAntispyware as well. But then I noticed that Eset smart security 7 has anti-spyware anyway and so it's not necessary to have an additional antispyware program and this could potentially cause problems as well. 

One of the things that has been confusing me is that I recently learned that some spyware have different signature patterns than viruses and that some AV's might miss. But if some AVs are now actually security suits that include anti-spyware then it's not necessary to include additional anti-spyware programs since they would be designed to catch spyware too.

I was using Kaspersky Pure before but don't think that has anti-spyware and also a bit heavier on the CPU as well. So I think I will stick with Eset Smart Security 7. Even though I did like the instant message protection that Kasperky pure offered. But I'm sure now the latest version of Eset would include that as well I think Anyway there are also other ways around getting instant message protection and any other things that some AVs may not include such as securer chat clients and common sense.

Anyway I am almost certain it's not necessary to have Super Anti-spy-ware pro as well as Malwarebytes and Eset but would still like to know what you guys think possibly for extra reassurance.

I also have to say that I have not yet any problems so far with Eset and Malwarebytes. I have however had a problem with internet explorer not responding at some point but that's an MS security update problem which I will fix later. 

Oh and why I think of it as I've now got Eset smart security would it be okay to turn off Windows defender?

Well that's all my concerns anyway. If any of you could help me with this I'd be very grateful. Thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:02 PM

There is no need to install SUPERAntiSpyware Pro.

If you want the benefits of its scanning engine use SUPERAntiSpyware Free which does not provide real-time protection, auto-Scanning, auto-updates or scheduled scanning so there is no need for it to run at startup and waste system resources. However, when installing SUPERAntiSpyware it installs to run at each start-up automatically. I recommend to disable its' startup and use it as a separate stand-alone on-demand scanner. If you right-click on the tray icon, select View Control Center (Preferences/Options)... to open Scanning and Program Preferences Start-Up Options, there is an option to Uncheck "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts."

Please read: Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 auto1571

auto1571
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:12 PM

There is no need to install SUPERAntiSpyware Pro.

If you want the benefits of its scanning engine use SUPERAntiSpyware Free which does not provide real-time protection, auto-Scanning, auto-updates or scheduled scanning so there is no need for it to run at startup and waste system resources. However, when installing SUPERAntiSpyware it installs to run at each start-up automatically. I recommend to disable its' startup and use it as a separate stand-alone on-demand scanner. If you right-click on the tray icon, select View Control Center (Preferences/Options)... to open Scanning and Program Preferences Start-Up Options, there is an option to Uncheck "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts."

Please read: Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools

Thanks very muck for this and I have bookmarked that topic you showed me too. Just one other thing is that via my action centre it's saying that having two spyware programs running at the same time can cause the pc to run slowly. This is because the default windows defender is on and running. Should I turn that off?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:27 PM

Yes.

How to disable Windows Defender in Windows 7
How to Turn Off and Disable Windows Defender in Windows 7

#5 auto1571

auto1571
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:41 PM

Thanks very much, very helpful. 

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:06 PM

You're welcome.

#7 saint satin stain

saint satin stain

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:05 PM

I second (or third etc) Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free) and SUPERAntiSpyware Free as second opinion and supplemental scanners, also recommend Panda AntiRootkit (the best such as Gmer require some learning, but worth it) as a decent one. I also use SpywareBlaster (10 dollars a year for autoupdates, free version you manually update) and Sandboxie.

I use and recommend Webroot SecureAnywhere antivirus; it's light and effective, but Norton and Bitdefender too are good but with a heavier, much heavier hit on your system.

I gave my 7 to my niece; use Vista on a laptop in my kitchen for recipes and as a platform for some network tools.  My main computer runs XP Pro SP3, one gig of RAM, 795 MHz  AMD Athlon 5000 dualcore so here's what I have on it with no discernible constraint on my system:

Gmer

Panda AntiRootkit

CyberGhost VPN

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (also have it on my mobile phone)

Sandboxie (paid version; has free too)

SpywareBlaster (autoupdate; be sure SpywareBlaster one word, some trashware imitators deceive, one Spyware Blaster bad one. Always download from it's home, www.javacoolsoftware.com or sites such as Major Geeks, Filehippo, cnet, or such.

Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete (which protects three desktop computers in my family, three Android phones, and one Android tablet.  Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware on all the Android devices.

Of all the security suites PCMag.com considers Norton, BitDefender, and Webroot the best, awards them editor's choice. Webroot takes about 8 to 10 seconds to install,  very light on system.

saint satin stain
Responsible for what I say,
not for what you understand.
www.leftinalabama.com

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:27 PM

Word of caution for those reading this topic.

GMER is a stand-alone tool that will help investigate for the presence of rootkits. It will not actually tell you if you are infected or not unless you know what you're looking for. If you're unsure how to use a particular Anti-rootkit (ARK) tool or interpret the log it generates, then you probably should not be using it. Some ARK tools like GMER are intended for advanced users or to be used under the guidance of an expert who can interpret the log results and investigate it for malicious entries before taking any removal action. Even with advanced training, trying to interpret GMER results can be confusing at best as there could be many legitimate entries in its log.

In most cases further investigation is required after the initial ARK scan by someone trained in rootkit detection or with advanced knowledge of the operating system. Report logs need to be analyzed and detected components identified in order to determined if they are benign, system critical or malevolent before attempted removal.

#9 saint satin stain

saint satin stain

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:17 PM

Word of caution for those reading this topic.
 Some ARK tools like GMER are intended for advanced users or to be used under the guidance of an expert who can interpret the log results and investigate it for malicious entries before taking any removal action. Even with advanced training, trying to interpret GMER results can be confusing at best as there could be many legitimate entries in its log.

In most cases further investigation is required after the initial ARK scan by someone trained in rootkit detection or with advanced knowledge of the operating system. Report logs need to be analyzed and detected components identified in order to determined if they are benign, system critical or malevolent before attempted removal.

Hmmm

saint satin stain
www.leftinalabama.com

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:47 PM

Bleeping Computer is a family oriented site where we offer assistance to those who know very little about computing. As such, our forum discussion board is primarily targeted more for the novice user as they comprise most of our membership.

#11 drobtoy

drobtoy

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:44 PM

I am fairly good at removing malware, but come here to Bleepingcomputer to learn more. Excellent site to learn from the experts. I hope to learn more in the future.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:15 PM

Yes BC is a great place to learn.

#13 saint satin stain

saint satin stain

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:50 PM

I second (or third etc) Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free) and SUPERAntiSpyware Free as second opinion and supplemental scanners, also recommend Panda AntiRootkit (the best such as Gmer require some learning, but worth it) as a decent one.

Thanks for the amplification.

Edited by saint satin stain, 07 December 2013 - 01:51 PM.

saint satin stain
www.leftinalabama.com

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:20 PM

You're welcome.

#15 Bread&Butter

Bread&Butter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:49 PM

I thought this might be a good place post a few questions about AV. I use malwarebytes to help remove malware/ viruses off of my friends and families computers. The program seems to work well and I almost always remove it after doing a few scans and removing the bugs. I also usually uninstall their outdated MacAfee or Norton software and install the free version of AVAST minus all the adware and bloatware by avoiding the "installation traps". This seems to work pretty well although i'm wondering just how "heavy" Avast is on some of the older system that run XP and Vista. What are some of your thoughts about Avast FREE antivirus and should I also turn off defender if I'm using the FREE Avast version?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users