Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem finding graphics card and installing drivers

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Pomegranate333

Pomegranate333

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:55 AM

Hi

Since I reinstalled XP Home SP3 (I don't have the original disk), I've been having problems with various media players.  Most of my downloaded videos suffer from choppy playback.  Another problem is, e.g., opening My Documents, then dragging it across the screen.  This doesn't happen smoothly.

Device Manager has a yellow '?' mark next to Video Controller and VC (VGA Compatible).

Slim Drivers managed to update all the drivers except those two.  Speccy doesn't reveal the make of the graphics card but I believe it's a ATI Radeon 9550/ x1050.

An abridged Speccy report is attached.

Many thanks.

Edited by Pomegranate333, 20 October 2013 - 10:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wolfeking

wolfeking

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:17 AM

There is a much easier way to find what you need. Go to device manager, right click on the device with the question mark, select Properties, then Details and the property you are looking for is Hardware IDs. Right click on the first one and select copy then paste the result into your next response. That will tell us exactly which device you have and what driver you need. 

*edit* 

the result should look something like this ACPI\VEN_INT&DEV_33A0. That ID goes to Intel Smart Connect btw. 

If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.

I personally do not trust new products or webcams. This is why my desktop is 3 years old, and my laptops older than that. 

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:32 AM

Or use the correct method -

Please post a snapshot with Speccy for more system details -
How to Publish a snapshot with Speccy <<-- Full Directions Here

#4 wolfeking

wolfeking

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:45 AM

Is speccy going to do any good if there is no driver installed? (never used it so honestly don't know). 

Either way, hardware IDs will definitely work 100% of the times. Don't understand why that is not the site standard here.

If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.

I personally do not trust new products or webcams. This is why my desktop is 3 years old, and my laptops older than that. 

#5 Pomegranate333

Pomegranate333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:08 AM

@ wolfeking

The hardware Ids is: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4173&SUBSYS_619C147B&REV_00

@ noknojon

What part of the Speccy report are you missing?  The only part I omitted was info regarding Windows security updates.

#6 Pomegranate333

Pomegranate333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:39 AM

Tried publish method but there's info re- security update status that I'd rather keep private.

Edited by Pomegranate333, 20 October 2013 - 06:41 AM.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:40 AM

Since your mainboard has no onboard graphics, we can assume the video card is a desktop category device, and the Catalyst Suite from here:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy1&os=Windows%20XP%20-%20Professional/Home

will likely provide you with suitable drivers.

If the card isn't a reference design, these reference drivers may not access all the features the card can provide - to be certain of that the best measure would be to look inside the case and find out the manufacturer and model of the video card, and get the exact drivers from the manufacturere's website.

However most likely those drivers will be adequate.

Edited by Platypus, 20 October 2013 - 06:47 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 wolfeking

wolfeking

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:46 AM

Platypus already got the answer. Your card is a Raedon 9550, and you need the XP Legacy driver. 

#9 Pomegranate333

Pomegranate333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:20 AM

Does it matter that I'm using a VGA connection from the monitor to the graphics card?

#10 Pomegranate333

Pomegranate333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:38 AM

I was so near and yet so far as I originally chose the WDM option when looking for a solution.

Everything is working fine now :-)

Many thanks to you all.

Edited by Pomegranate333, 20 October 2013 - 08:54 AM.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:13 AM

Just to let you know, there is no privacy critical information that can be used to attack you or track you via publishing a report via File > Publish Snapshot

If there were Privacy Issues, I would not recommend it.

Publishing your report via a text file upload will provide way more information then a hyperlink.

In your text file, your windows key is fully visible and now anyone can grab it.

That is the reason we recommend publishing the Link. The text file method are for those without internet access.

#12 Pomegranate333

Pomegranate333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:51 AM

In your text file, your windows key is fully visible and now anyone can grab it.

Attachment deleted - thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users