Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected with Rootkit Virus that won't let me open ANY exe files

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 anzac1990

anzac1990

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:11 AM

While going through my spyware programs my computer (it runs on Windows 7 in case that helps) suddenly wouldn't let me open any program that ends in exe. The only thing I can do is get on Internet Explorer but before that a dozen new tabs just open out of no where. When I try to open a program that ends in exe it brings me to the 'view downloads' screen at which point any attempt to open the program from there results in either a copy being made or it saying the program is from an unverified source. I've tried reading a view of the guides on here but nothing seems to work. Can anyone on here help me?

Cheers,

Antonio

Edited by hamluis, 20 October 2013 - 09:51 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:54 PM

I'll report this topic to appropriate helpers.

1. Please let us know what Windows version you have and if it's 32- or 64-bit.
2. Is the computer bootable in any mode?

Hold on there....

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 anzac1990

anzac1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:47 PM

Thanks a bunch.

It's the 64-bit version.

It starts up fine but upon start up it opens a lot of windows that ask if I want to download or save internet explorer despite the fact I already have it. The same happens whenever I try to open any other program in the conventional way. I did find a loophole that lets me get on internet explorer and windows office. 

Cheers,

Antonio

#4 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:09 PM

Hi and welcome.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

Plug the flash drive into the infected PC.
  • If you are using Windows 8 consult How to use the Windows 8 System Recovery Environment Command Prompt to enter System Recovery Command prompt.

If you are using Vista or Windows 7 enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
  • Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
  • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account an click Next.
  • Note: In case you can not enter System Recovery Options by using F8 method, you can use Windows installation disc, or make a repair disc. Any Windows installation disc or a repair disc made on another computer can be used.
    To make a repair disk on Windows 7 consult: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2083-system-repair-disc-create.html

To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:
  • Insert the installation disc.
  • Restart your computer.
  • If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
  • Click Repair your computer.
  • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account and click Next.
  • On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:
  • Startup Repair
  • System Restore
  • Windows Complete PC Restore
  • Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
  • Command Prompt
  • Select Command Prompt

Once in the Command Prompt:
  • In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
  • The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
  • Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
  • In the command window type e:\frst (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter
    Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
  • The tool will start to run.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#5 HelpBot

HelpBot

Bleepin' Binary Bot

• Bots
  • 12,658 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:15 AM

Disregard.

Edited by JSntgRvr, 29 October 2013 - 12:28 PM.

#6 HelpBot

HelpBot

Bleepin' Binary Bot

• Bots
  • 12,658 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:20 AM

Hello again!

I haven't heard from you in 5 days. Therefore, I am going to assume that you no longer need our help, and close this topic.

If you do still need help, please send a Private Message to any Moderator within the next five days. Be sure to include a link to your topic in your Private Message.

Thank you for using Bleeping Computer, and have a great day!

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:07 PM

This topic has been re-opened at the request of the person who originally posted.

#8 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,538 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:03 AM

Please post the reports.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#9 anzac1990

anzac1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:01 PM

I have a problem. I got the program on the flashdrive but when I put it in the infected computer and open the flashdrive file it says its empty. It works fine on other computers though.

Cheers,
Antonio

#10 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,538 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:17 AM

Create a Recovery CD from a computer running the same version of Windows, and boot the computer with it. Reach the command prompt throughout the CD, following the same instructions above. To create a Recovery CD, follow these steps:

Note: the below can only be done if your machine has a a type of CD/R or DVD/R optical drive installed. Also depending on the exact type of OEM your machine has you may be unable to actually create a SRD.
  • Click on Start(Windows 7 Orb) >> Run...(or the Windows key and R together) to bring up the Run box, then copy/paste the following command into the box and click on OK:

recdisc.exe

• Allow the UAC(User Account Control) prompt via selecting Yes.
  • You should now see a menu like the below:-
WTSRD1.gif
  • Put a blank rewritable CD/DVD in your optical(CD/DVD) drive and then click on Create disc.
  • Note: If a AutoPlay window pops up, just close it.
  • When the SRD has been created you will see the below:-
WTSRD2.gif
  • Now click on Close >> OK. Leave the disc in the drive as we will be using it shortly.
  • You now have a Windows 7 System Repair Disc.

btn_donate_SM.gif

#11 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,538 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

If that fails, and you are able to boot either in Safe or Normal Mode, you can run Rkill to reset the .exe association and stop most processes.

RKill is a program developed at BleepingComputer.com that was originally designed for the use in our virus removal guides. It was created so that we could have an easy to use tool that kills known processes and remove Windows Registry entries that stop a user from using their normal security applications. Simple as that. Nothing fancy. Just kill known malware processes and clean up some Registry keys so that your security programs can do their job.

So in summary, RKill just kills 32-bit and 64-bit malware processes and scans the registry for entries that would not allow you to run various legitimate programs. When scanning the Registry, Rkill will search for malicious Image File Execution Objects, DisallowRuns entries, executable hijacks, and policies that restrict your use of various Windows utilities. When changing Windows Registry entries it will create a backup of these entries and save them in the rkill folder on your desktop. Each registry backup will contain a time stamp so that the backups are not overwritten on subsequent runs of Rkill.

Since RKill only terminates processes and does not remove the offending files, when it is finished you should not reboot your computer. If you do, these malware processes that are set to start automatically, will just start up again. Instead, after running RKill you should scan your computer with FRST and post its reports, FRST.txt and addition.txt. If there is a problem after running RKill, just reboot your computer and you will be back to where you started before running the program.

RKill can be downloaded from the following location:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/

There are three versions. If the .exe does not work, try the ,com version. A report, rkill.log will be created in the root directory, usualy C:\. Post that report on your next reply

btn_donate_SM.gif

#12 anzac1990

anzac1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:24 PM

Before I start this I have a question. What if I've already downloaded rkil and it doesn't effect anything?

Cheers,
Antonio

#13 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,538 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:35 PM

It wont affect anything.

btn_donate_SM.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users