Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio stutter from DPC latency

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mtfeeney

mtfeeney

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:10 AM

I've been using a laptop that I custom ordered from HP for the last month.  2 weeks ago, I was watching a video with my wife and I heard the dreaded audio stutter.  You know the sound, similar to how it sounded in the Matrix when was jacked out.  Or maybe not, I haven't seen those movies in quite a few years.  :hysterical:  Anywho, I thought maybe it was a fluke.  I was watching an avi movie with VLC at the time.  Since then, I've been unable to watch any sort of video without encountering this issue.  Even when it's just a website playing an mp3 using flash, it still happens.  I used Latencymon, which detects problems but gives no answers.  I've tried dpclat, and that also shows problems with no answers.  I installed the Windows ADK.  Then I ran the Windows Performance Recorder for 5 minutes while watching a video online.  After saving the results and opening them with the Windows Performance Analyzer, I saw what appears to be a hint of an answer.  In the dpc graph, it shows the dpc of every running thread/process/service/whatever.  There were 3 that jumped out.  First was iaStorA.sys, which had 5 huge spikes at regular intervals.  Second was dxgkrnl.sys, which was hovering at a steady 500-600.  Third was Smb_driver.sys, which had 2 big spikes, although they weren't nearly as high as iaStor's nor as frequent.

At this point, I have no idea what to do.  I don't actually know if these are the culprits or just innocent bystanders being framed by some other process that is holding them up.  If they are the problem, I don't know how to fix them...  I don't even know what they are.  As things stand now, watching video or listening to audio is insufferable.  I'll be more than happy to provide any extra information needed.

In case it matters, I'm using a HP ENVY 15t-j000 quad edition laptop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mtfeeney

mtfeeney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:16 AM

Nobody has advice on figuring out the cause of DPC latecy and solving it?  :huh:  I just tried to watch an episode of Supernatural with my wife, and it was like torture.

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:41 AM

Hi

I am not experienced with DPC latencymon but i would first update all critical drivers before doing any other test. IaStorA.sys is the Intel storage controller driver which came with "Intel Rapid Storage Technology". You can download the latest version from the below link.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23060/a08/SetupRST.exe&lang=eng&Dwnldid=23060&ProductID=2101&ProductFamily=Software+Products&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technology+(Intel%C2%AE+RST)

Make sure to uninstall the old one from Control Panel --> Programs before updating.

I would also update display and audio drivers as directx kernel is showing high latency.

#4 mtfeeney

mtfeeney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:20 AM

Thank you for replying.  I have the newest version of every driver.  It's a brand new laptop, and I made sure to check the OEM site for possible updates.  Other than a firmware update, there was nothing new.

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:12 AM

Hi

OEM may not have up to date drivers always. You can always use the latest IRST driver from Intel site regardless of the OEM brand and model.

#6 mtfeeney

mtfeeney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:09 AM

I'm kind of shocked at how little response I've gotten.  Nobody has any advice, either for dpc/latency issues or suggestions of alternatives?  This is a bit disappointing.  I saw all these threads of people offering lengthy posts offering advice and requesting further information, I guess I thought that was the norm here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users