Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I am willing to pay a yearly subscription to get security updates

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 saint satin stain

saint satin stain

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:35 PM

I am willing to pay a yearly subscription to get security updates for XP Professional.  I am a member of SIN and none of our best hackers have been able to crack the computers of the 8 members who have XP Pro SP3 as main computer OS. I dont like Vista, Windows 7, and may not like 8. I have to check it on someone's computer with it.I like XP Pro, got it tweaked for optimal security and performance. I may go to Ubuntu when time runs out for it.

2/3s of time I use my mobile phone and tablet; I may just use mobile platforms. I will just need a server at home and lots of storage.  I carry a Seagate Wifi Plus in my pocket, 1 TB, or in shoulder bag.  Practically my mobiles have 1 TB of storage when I'm abroad.

saint satin stain
Responsible for what I say,
not for what you understand.
www.leftinalabama.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:09 PM

Sorry...we don't represent Microsoft, who makes such updates free.

I suggest that you contact them.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 20 October 2013 - 10:26 AM.

#3 saint satin stain

saint satin stain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:16 AM

Sorry...we don't represent Microsoft, who makes such updates free.

I suggest that contact them.

Louis

State the obvious  for which purpose?

I have - and others - have contacted Microsoft. I was just making known here my opinion and feelings. We and others have sent Microsoft some tweaks and changes that they should incorporate. 

Much of the weaknesses of any OS is the operator.  My neighbors wondered why my XP Pro SP 3 was faster than their Vista or Windows 7. I told them upkeep, those chores that - I assume you also do no matter the OS - I do to keep it performing best it can do.  They dont.  My main computer runs XP Pro SP3 with one gig of ram, AMD Athlon 5000 Dual Core, 795 MHz. My mobile phone, Nexus 4, has 2 gigs ram, 1.61 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro Quadcore, so my mobile phone, and tablet similar, jets on more. I do over half my work on mobile devices. I am a writer, poet mainly, political ideologue, blogger, and do no movie making, occasional video, no high ram and cpu using graphics, so one gig of ram runs well. My antivirus uses about 2 to 4 percent. I have open now five apps, but all low resource users. 

So maybe I shouldn't care if Microsoft doesn't keep XP operative, though some businesses would like it too.Windows 8 doesn't work the way my mobile devices do.  Dont know yet if I like it or dislike it. I like my Android devices, so for desktop Linux, Ubuntu, may be best for me.  My kitchen computer double boots Vista (Microsoft gave it to me. I dont like it.) and Ubuntu (I like so far); bought 7 but gave to my niece.  I like XP Pro.

Any folk here still have XP? Any folk here do half or more computing with mobile devices?

saint satin stain
Responsible for what I say,
not for what you understand.
www.leftinalabama.com

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:21 AM

I still use XP, but only because of my school classes regarding Computer and Cyber Forensics require me to keep an XP machine around. I have found that Windows Vista and Windows 7 all run far superior then Windows XP. A vast majority of people I know that are in the Tech Sector are or have already switched to Windows 7 for the enterprise. This will impact Microsoft's decision to continue with XP which is a 12 year old Operating system this 24th of October. Also could you share your Windows XP COnfigure details via the following:

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:00 PM

Topic OBE, closed.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users