Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

??? Disk empty (?) after "successfully" burning ISO (to both DVD and USB).

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mvcdustin

mvcdustin

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:23 PM

I am stumped. Completely stumped. I've googled and googled and googled, and cannot find anything on the matter. 

Here's what is happening:

I've now tried to burn the same .ISO to both a DVD/RW and a USB and I have used: Unetbootin (to USB), Win32Imager (to USB), Windows 7 Image Burner (to DVD), and BurnCDCC (to DVD).

They all say they successfully complete the burning process. After that, I check the disk on both USB and DVD and they are both completely empty.

In fact, I'm pretty sure it permanently messed up my PNY 8GB thumb drive. I tried to use DISKPART to reformat it and a third-party tool called Fat32Format but to no avail.

For further evidence, I tried booting to my USB and DVD/RW after completion of the burning process, but it shows an underscore blinking and then eventually boots the HDD.

I have absolutely no clue what is going on.

Sincerely,

Confounded Computerist

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:30 PM

Just a quick question, are you using simulate write and not actually writing any data to the cd or usb thus resulting in empty burns.

What program are you using to burn the ISO to a CD?

As far as I know, the Windows 7 CD Burning software does not allow you to make cd's from ISO's.

ISO Recorder Canned Speech:

Here is how to use ISO Recorder which can be downloaded from Here. Just pick the version right for your Operating system and computer.

1) First install it which is rather easy compared to most programs. There are no Free Applications bundled with this like toolbars and such.

installation_step_1.png

Installation Step Two where you pick the directory to install it to, and the access level. I would select the default attributes.

installation_step_2.png

Confirming that you want to installation.

confirmation_of_installation.png

Installation Complete

installation_complete.png

2) Selecting a file to burn. You will need to right click on a a file as seen below and select copy image to CD/DVD

burning_a_file.png

3) Options window for ISO Recorder I would suggest leaving the default values checked or selected.

burn_cd_dvd_iso_recorder.png

4) Progression of Burn.

progress_of_burn.png

5) Completion of Burn.

completion_of_burn.png

As you can see this is a very easy program to use and master.

#3 mvcdustin

mvcdustin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:37 PM

I appreciate the help, but I tried Free ISO Burner and I am burning to a DVD, not CD. The BurnCDCC should have worked as I have used it in the past to burn Hirens to a DVD with no problems. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Windows 7's featured Disc Image Burner does allow you to burn .ISOs to CDs and DVDs**. I will try this as well, but I highly doubt it will work.

** http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/burn-a-cd-or-dvd-from-an-iso-file

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:07 PM

Where did you download the ISO from and what is the ISO image for/ of? Or did you create the ISO image from another source such as

a DVD?

Yes, you can burn using Windows....just can't create an ISO image using the Windows program.

Edited by buddy215, 19 October 2013 - 07:09 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 mvcdustin

mvcdustin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:15 PM

I downloaded the Crashbang Linux 64-bit ISO from the official Crashbang website. When I run the ISO in VirtualBox, it works fine, so I know the ISO is good. I bet if I did a hash check, it would check out.

#6 mvcdustin

mvcdustin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:26 PM

Was finally able to save my USB drive on a hail mary effort with DISKPART somehow. Wow. Glad I don't have to throw away my 8GB stick.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:17 AM

Less than two years ago that distro posted this: CrunchBang Linux is not recommended for anyone needing a stable system or anyone who is not comfortable running into occasional, even frequent breakage. CrunchBang Linux could possibly make your computer go CRUNCH! BANG! Therefore CrunchBang Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by applicable law.

Unless you have a comp that can't run Ubuntu because of limited resources then I don't see why you would use that distro. Except you

like to experiment or are really into customization. When it is installed on a hdd it should boot up a few seconds faster than say Ubuntu,

but other than that it is best described by what is missing in installed packages as opposed to what is not.

You could try the 32 bit version.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users