Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual monitor hell! (Will donate if can help)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Fraged

Fraged

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:52 PM

Hello, for the past 2 days I've been trying to connect my PC to my 2 identical monitors for expanded viewing.

A little about whats the problem:

So basically both my monitors are VGA ports at the back, my computer has a DVI-I, VGA and HDMI port. I have tried connecting a VGA splitter which just mirrors the displays, so atleast we know both monitors work. I've than bought a DVI-I to VGA adapter in hope that the transition will work? Still no luck. I than tried plugging in HDMI and VGA and it works perfect aswell.

When the DVI-I port is plugged with the adapter to my monitor all that happens is, its changed from "Connect a lead" to "No signal" and the blue on light turns to a amber sleep light.

What possibly could be the problem?

The graphics card is a: ATI Radeon 4560 - I think? should be that version

If anyone could possibly help me sort the problem out, I'll happily donate via paypal for your time!

Thanks, Rhys.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wolfeking

wolfeking

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:08 AM

Going to go at this from 2 directions. 

First, do you have a different DVI-I computer port that you can try to help determine if the fault is on the card or the cable? 

And (now would be a great time to have an AMD card. :( ) with the cable attached to the monitor and the card, go to either CCC or Screen Resolution (may be different for different versions of windows) and look for a screen that is grayed out. If one is, then you will have to choose what to do (mirror or extend) and the resolution and hit apply. 

And keep your money. That is not what forums are about. We are here to help people just for the satisfaction of helping, not for money. That is what work is for. 

If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.

I personally do not trust new products or webcams. This is why my desktop is 3 years old, and my laptops older than that. 

#3 Fraged

Fraged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:58 AM

Going to go at this from 2 directions. 

First, do you have a different DVI-I computer port that you can try to help determine if the fault is on the card or the cable? 

And (now would be a great time to have an AMD card. :( ) with the cable attached to the monitor and the card, go to either CCC or Screen Resolution (may be different for different versions of windows) and look for a screen that is grayed out. If one is, then you will have to choose what to do (mirror or extend) and the resolution and hit apply. 

And keep your money. That is not what forums are about. We are here to help people just for the satisfaction of helping, not for money. That is what work is for. 

I don't have a different DVI-I port, so I've purchased another graphics card which should come tomorrow to test. The cables I have brand new doubles, It isn't the cables.

I've gone to CCC and Screen resolution, and haven't seen any second screen or anything grey'd out! :(

#4 wolfeking

wolfeking

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:11 AM

I would not be so sure on that, it would not be the first time that someone got something DOA (especially in cables). 

Since nothing is grayed out, then it is almost certainly either the port or the cable. 

If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.

I personally do not trust new products or webcams. This is why my desktop is 3 years old, and my laptops older than that. 

#5 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:48 AM

Agreed. Either the port or the cable. You could try a different card or different cable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users