Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 64-bit Pro, sudden slow shutdown and boot time

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 whizzcodebang

whizzcodebang

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:50 PM

Hi,

Am new to this forum, hope someone can help. A few weeks ago after an unattended Win update & re-boot (the PC was woken during the night) my PC began to behave in an unsual way; going to sleep which would take a minute at most now drags out for several minutes. Sometimes, when putting the PC to sleep Win7 states that a program is running in the background and am invited either to kill the offending task or cancel the operation. By that point the mouse and keyboard are ineffective. The screen then goes off (no video) but the PC continues to whir away till finally it goes to sleep. Equally when the PC is brought out of sleep, where as before it would take seconds now, after log-in takes place, the screen contents partailly appears, often showing just the frame outline(s) but the inner contents remains black. After approx three minutes everything springs in to life.

The O/S is fully patched & the PCB is an ASUS_P7H57D-V EVO complete with 16GB RAM, primary disk is a Samsung 840 Pro SSD plus a Seagate Momentus hybrid HDD/SSD which holds the bulk of the data. I run Agnitum Outpost Pro Security Suite and extensive malware scans indicate nothing is present apart from the odd few cookies. The same holds true when runing the MS Malicious removal tool, nothing is found. The browser is Fire Fox.

I discovered Bleepingcomputer when searching for info on Trojans and Malware but I stumbled in to the middle of a forum which was guiding a user how to deal with a specific issue, not fully appreciating at the time that some of the tools need to be used with care & expert guidance, so unwittingly I latched on to Combofix. I realise now that it would have been best to leave alone until instructed to use an appropraite tool but use it I did. I have since discovered that when an up to date version of Combofix is run on my PC the problems I describe above ease off or disappear altogether - for a few days then slowly reappear so clearly Combofix is having some effect but not permanent. I've saved the logs but do not know how to interpret them.

I hope someone can shed light on this. My concern is that while the problem appears to be more or less harmless it could be a precursor to something more sinister

whizzcodebang

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:20 AM

Hello having run ComboFix we now need to see that log and a DDS log.

Please follow this Preparation Guide, do steps 6,7 and 8 and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 whizzcodebang

whizzcodebang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:06 PM

Hi,

A week ago, following the moderators reply  I started a new topic following the guidlines given in the link sent to me; Posting a new topic in Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs. I signed in then added a topic in that forum then attached three files, two created by the DDS tool and one from Combofix then posted it. Though I have notifcation by email selected on my settings I decided to have a look-see on the forums and search under my user name but only found the two items (under this topic - in7 64-bit Pro... - ) so I'm not sure whether my new topic got vaporised or is parked somewhere wating attention - curious that's all :)

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,078 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:31 PM

Hello sorry you are still waiting.. I looked and you are the 3rd topic so it should be tomorrow.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 whizzcodebang

whizzcodebang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:35 PM

Oh thanks. I was not chasing anoyone I just wondered if the post appeared for all to see in that section then at some point it would be looked at. Since then I have run a full sacn using AVG and its Root scanner. That claimed it had found a nasty in a windows driver but aside from that nothing I use finds anything yet runing Combofix does something to rectify the strange behaviour.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,078 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:14 AM

No problem. Moved you to the Waiting a long time folder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users