Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Configuration Issue

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 AndreaRW49

AndreaRW49

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:00 PM

Hello all,

I seem to have developed a major issue with my PC. I'm running windows 7 home premium. Approximately 3-4 weeks ago when windows starts it does a configuration of updates, after trying to load for several minutes it says windows configuration failure, reverting changes please do not turn off your computer. I eventually had to turn pc off manually because  windows never did boot. I was able to do a system restore a couple of times but now I cant do that. I've tried a system repair in command prompt but this didn't work either. I can't get in to windows update under the start menu. Nothing seems to be working. I can use my PC in safe mode or safe mode with networking. Don't know what else to do. My machine did not come with recovery disk or windows disk. I wonder can I use an up grade disk? Just curious.

Hope someone can help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:27 PM

Hi AndreaRW49,

Try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358

Hope it helps

Good Luck

#3 AndreaRW49

AndreaRW49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:40 PM

Thanks for suggestion, this calls for windows 7 disc of which I do not have.

#4 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:05 PM

"My machine did not come with recovery disk or windows disk"

Are you saying Windows 7 was pre-installed?

This link may be of interest : http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/how-to-make-a-windows-vista-repair-disk-if-you-dont-have-one/    This applies to Windows 7 as well. 

Official Windows 7 SP1 ISO Image Downloads: http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/

Good luck

Edited by sikntired, 19 October 2013 - 07:34 PM.

#5 AndreaRW49

AndreaRW49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:09 AM

So I created a repair disc and it looked as if I was on my way, however when it booted into win 7 and started loading the files, once it got to the recovery options and asked to select next under the highlighted US selection, the cursor froze. I was unable to move from that point. So whats next?

Thanks for your suggestions.

#6 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:47 AM

Try running chdsk by opening an elevated command prompt. Right click and Run as Administrator. In the command prompt window type chdsk /r (note space between chdsk and /r). Then press enter.  Allow it to run to find any bad sectors. You may need to reboot.

Next run System File Checker. Open an elevated command prompt. Right click and Run as Administrator. In the command prompt window type sfc /scannow (note space between sfc and /scannow. Then press enter. Allow it to run. You may have to run this 2 to 3 times.

It will attempt to repair or replace any corrupt files.

Good Luck

#7 AndreaRW49

AndreaRW49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:35 AM

I'm at my wits end. Nothing seems to be working for me! Do you have any other suggestions that may help. Command prompt would not do sfc because it said their is a repair pending. This was after I used the repair disc I created.

#8 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:26 PM

You stated that your computer did not come with OEM Disk nor a System Repair Disk. Did you purchase from someone else?  Please explain as Windows 7 Home Premium does come with those when purchased from a Retailer, such as BEST Buy, etc.

You can get a OEM Disk but you will need a COA (certificate of authenticity) by contacting MS.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-is-the-Windows-Certificate-of-Authenticity

#9 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:58 PM

try sfc /cancel then try again sfc

#10 AndreaRW49

AndreaRW49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:53 PM

Okay I will try the sfc/cancel. I have a question however. I do have a windows 7 home premium anytime upgrade disc for a 64 bit. Will it be safe to install that. I've never used it. When I purchased it it was for a laptop that was running vista. It came with 32 bit disc &:64 bit. What do you think?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,115 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:49 PM

If it is for a laptop...it was developed for an OEM system.  That system alone.  It's not designed to apply to any other system and attempting to use it on a different system...will probably result various new problems that you probably don't need.

Louis

#12 AndreaRW49

AndreaRW49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:24 PM

Even if it was a random purchase. I used the 32 bit disc on the laptop. The The discs did not come with the laptop. As I said I've never used the 64bit disc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users