Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Recovery Toshiba Equium L20-197 Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bish

Bish

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:52 AM

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knows how to do a full system restore on a Toshiba Equium L20-197 running Windows XP Home Edition SP3. It's from 2005 as far as I remember. It's a second laptop I have and I want to do a fresh install so it's as if it's 'out of the box' as I want my family to be able to use it when I take my new laptop to work etc.

No recovery disk came with it if I remember correctly, I've also tried the method listed here but it didn't work. The laptop beeped but then it loaded Windows as normal.

I've tried Toshiba support but as it's been discontinued for so long they don't provide it in Europe any longer. I've seen discs on eBay and other websites claiming to have a download or the recovery disc but I'm not too eager to try those as I don't know how trustworthy they'd be.

Is there another way to do a system restore by clicking buttons on start up or does anyone know where I could download a good .iso file for recovery?

ps I know recovery wipes everything etc. It's a second laptop that I don't use very often but I want a fresh install with everything wiped.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:28 AM

Simple question: Did you press 0 (zero) or the letter O?

The instructions you followed make it look like the letter O.

If you did press zero:

One thing you can do is go to your Start Menu/All Programs.

Look for any folders related to Toshiba. There might be something in one of them which will allow you to do a system recovery.

Your other option is to create a set of recovery disks of the partiton IF the recovery partition has not been somehow deleted from your system.

In order to do this you will have to look through Toshiba folders in your start menu and look for that option.

If it is there pretend that you are going through the process of creating the disks. This should tell you how many disks you need and what type. At that point you can close it if you don't have the disks.

Should you make the disks be sure to have a marker so you can label each disk as Toshiba (model number) Recovery 1, 2, etc.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 19 October 2013 - 10:32 AM.

#3 Bish

Bish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:51 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I was pressing the zero during startup. I heard the beeps but as mentioned, it started up as normanl.

I have a Toshiba folder in all programs with two sub menus but there's nothing of value in them. I've attached screenshots.

I can't find an option to make recovery discs, I wish there was. I keep the discs for my new machine safe.

If there is a partition, I've never deleted it. I'm very careful not to delete something that might be system related.

Do I have any other options?

Thanks,

Mike

TOSHIBA_zpse4718538.pngTOSHIBA2_zpsa81a9cbd.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users