Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible my CD drive is broken?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 _Edvinas_

_Edvinas_

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:46 AM

Hello. First of all, sorry if I posted in the wrong place. While I am a long time "lurker", I'm a first time poster =P 

Anyway, I my PC is Windows XP, and today I wanted to write some music into  my cd, but when I inserted it, nothing happened. The cursor did show a spinning disc and the computer made some werid clicky noises. I thought i'd ignore this and just opened up my NERO burning and put on the songs I wanted to record. Then, when I pressed the burn button, a message appeared telling me to insert a disc. WHAT? I had in in there :( I got frustarted, and just thought I'd put in a couple of my video game discs to see if it's my computer acting weird or is it just the CD's fault. And guess what? My computer didn't read any of the discs! :( 

Now, I was angry and confused, so I just sat down and thought for a minute. Then, I remembered a couple of weeks, mabie even months ago, my sister and my little nephew visited me. I remember putting his car chair (not sure how to call it >.<) Next to my computer, and when he climbed onto the chair, I remember the chair pusshing down the button that opens up the cd drive. The chair didn't allow it to open, and when I noticed it, I quickly moved the cahir aside, but when I did, the cd drive stop trying to open (I guess the chair was blocking it for too long). I just tried opening and closing the drive to make sure it was OK. It was working. But I didn't put in any CD to make sure... Now while the drive DOE S open and close, it won't read any CDS. is it possible it broke during that event? How do I check? Thank you for taking the time to read this. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:11 PM

Opening/closing is seldom a problem for optical drives, so that means nothing.

If the drive won't read/play a music CD/DVD (if DVD drive), won't read/run a bootable CDDVD...won't read a program install disk...won't burn any sort of disks....it's time to replace it.

It might also be dirty...and you could try buing/using one of those disks for cleaning the optical drive.

Last DVD burner I bought cost me $17-19.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 October 2013 - 05:14 PM.

#3 _Edvinas_

_Edvinas_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:08 AM

Opening/closing is seldom a problem for optical drives, so that means nothing.

If the drive won't read/play a music CD/DVD (if DVD drive), won't read/run a bootable CDDVD...won't read a program install disk...won't burn any sort of disks....it's time to replace it.

It might also be dirty...and you could try buing/using one of those disks for cleaning the optical drive.

Last DVD burner I bought cost me $17-19.

Louis

Hmmm, my computer is about 6 years old... I guess it might be time to replace it... It doesn't look dirty, so I guess it's just old. By the way, do you think if I bought the new cd drive and brought it to a computer nerd to replace it for me, would that cost a lot? Don't have that much money on me at the moment...

#4 wolfeking

wolfeking

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:31 AM

Honestly, you can replace it yourself. Optical drives (and card readers/Floppys) are very easy. It is either 2/4 screws or a release lever (depending on case) and a power + Data cable. Just buy the new drive, shut down the computer, then install it. 

For the price, it is easiest to just replace CD drives than to worry about fixing them (Cost maybe $20 if you buy new, and they last 1-5 years on average). 

If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.

I personally do not trust new products or webcams. This is why my desktop is 3 years old, and my laptops older than that. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users