Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excel Hanging And Crashing All The Time

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AndreaE

AndreaE

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 29 April 2006 - 08:28 AM

I have Office 2000 and was experiencing problems with Excel and was told by Microsoft that I needed to upgrade to Excel 2003 which I have.

It is even worse now and although I can enter information onto a spreadsheet, when I try to copy or cut and paste it just hangs and the egg timer is followed by the not responding message.

I have read a lot on this and other websites and I know a lot of people have had a problem with Excel after installing a patch or something but this seems to be affecting them only with the opening and saving of documents so I think mine might be a slightly different problem.

I would be most grateful for any help - particularly if it is in simple language that I might understand as I am not much of a computer person (as you may have already guessed).

Many thanks.

PS - don't know if it matters but I have Windows XP Home Edition

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 11:10 AM

How much RAM do you have, and are you working with multiple spreadsheets open? Multiple applications also running? I would like to rule out considerations of memory before proceeding.
What kind of data/formulae are you attempting to copy and paste? A few cells or many?
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 29 April 2006 - 11:11 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 AndreaE

AndreaE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 11:17 AM

Hi John

I don't know how to check RAM (I told you I wasn't techy!) but I have recently cleaned and defragged so I am sure that space is not the issue. I have also run every debugging and virus checking software known to man so it can't be something like that.

I am having the problem whether other applications are running or not and with only 1 worksheet open literally copying a few cells and pasting them somewhere else on the same page - nothing complicated.

Many thanks for your help.

Andrea

#4 RystiC

RystiC

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 16 May 2006 - 07:50 AM

You can check your memory by right clicking your "my computer" icon on your desktop and then clicking "properties". close to the bottom of that window that will apear, will display how much memory you have. If you have 128mb its going to be an issue, if 256mb then the problem is most likely somewhere else.

Take your pc to your nearest computer shop and ask them in install more memory (RAM). if you have 128 or 256, i recommend getting another 256.

Hopefully this helped abit.
[- [url="http://www%5b/COLOR%5d.%5bCOLOR="Blue"%5d%5bCOLOR="Navy"%5dS%5b/COLOR%5dolution%5bCOLOR="Navy"%5dF%5b/COLOR%5dorum%5b/COLOR%5d.%5bCOLOR="Gray"%5dnet"]www.SolutionForum.net[/url] -][- If you have had problems and solved it or still havent solved it, we would like to know -][- Thanks for the Support -]

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 17 May 2006 - 09:48 PM

jgweed, I would think that insufficient memory would issue a message to that effect. On the other hand, I have a hunch you're right :thumbsup:
XP requires tons of it (512), and excel 2003 is much bigger than 2000. I do know people who have XP with 256k and Office2000 and excel is just fine.

There is one possibility on a different track. Clipboard in some XPs has a memory leak. For the life of me I can't remember where I read it. It might have been about SP1, but I think it was about XP2. Perhaps that's an alternative to follow, but I don't know how :flowers:

Edited by tos226, 17 May 2006 - 09:49 PM.

#6 AndreaE

AndreaE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2006 - 01:20 AM

Thank you very much for your help.

I have checked my RAM and it is 248 so I might look at increasing that.

Excel is working better now. It seemed to be having a real problem with one particular worksheet but when I use others it seems OK - albeit a bit slow.

Thanks again for your advice,

Andrea

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2006 - 08:03 AM

Sometimes, worksheets can do wierd things. If the one still giving you problems does not appear to be much larger in size than any other, try copying ONLY the "active area" of the spreadsheet to a new, clean one, and then saving.

Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 lentheman

lentheman

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 05 June 2006 - 01:43 PM

Something I do here where I work, is if users that are running excel 2000 have frequent hang-ups and slowdowns (keeping in mind that most of these users are running windows 98 as their operating system,) try doing a search for *.XLB.

Delete the file that comes up, take note of the file size. This file will recreate itself once you open up excel once again. Sometimes this file becomes really large over time and can cause problems.

Give that a whirl, I know its a default excel file, but like I said, it will re-create itself after you delete it.

I'm pretty sure the filename itself is just excel.xlb.

Hope all is well

Len

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users