Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help choosing lcd/led

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 awaisagha

awaisagha

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:23 AM

Hi
i was looking for some information,i tried Google but the information i got was so much confusing.I mean i couldn't really differentiate.

i want to buy a new LCD or LED panel but when i went to ebay,they showed me different things,classified by LCD monitor and panel.

I want to know something,basically what's the difference between DVI port result and HDMI port result (i know about VGA port).
Well i know HDMI can carry both video and audio signals but i am asking about the result,HDMI is better or DVI.

2ndly i wanted to know,which is better in terms of result,LCD or LED.My usage is for home,basically i want to buy a good thing for better movie watching and result etc.

and lastly i want to know,what's the better resolution? 1920*1200 or 1920*1080 and what's the difference between them.
and what's the difference between 2560*1600 and 2560*1440 resolution.

AND what good it is to use a 16:9 panel than using a normal 4:3 one.
Crossover Black Tune 30x LED IPS 2560x1600 WQHD Monitor DVI D HDMI DP | eBay

Perfect Pixel Crossover 27QW LED IPS 2560x1440 QHD LED Monitor DVI D 27" Slim | eBay

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:11 AM

HDMI and DVI carry the same signal.   DVI Dual LInk and HDMI 1.3 (which is what is most common now) are good for up to 2560X1600 resolution at 60hz. No difference in video quality, but HDMI does carry digital audio which is handy if you have a monitor with speakers (assuming it can decode digital audio).  You have to be careful with no name monitors.  Read the specs CLOSELY.  Make sure also the monitors are HDCP compliant.  Cannot imagine a modern monitor that isn't, but you never know.

All panels are LCD.  When you see a monitor advertised as "LED", it refers to the backlighting.  Older LCD monitors usually have CCFL backlights, newer models have LED backlights.  LED is the way to go if you can.  Cooler, more reliable, and instant on.

Avoid using a VGA port.  I set up a system for a client awhile back, nice 24" HP monitor, high buck stuff, and all their cheap tower had was a VGA output.  What a waste of a good monitor.

Ratio- Whether you go 16:10, or 16:9 is up to you.  Personally I like a slightly taller 16:10.  If you watch a lot of movies you may want to go 16:9 as you won't get the black upper/lower bands, and the actual picture will be slightly larger as the default output is 16:9 (1920X1080 or 2560X1440)  If you do a lot of other stuff besides watching movies, consider a 16:10.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 awaisagha

awaisagha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:43 AM

HDMI and DVI carry the same signal.   DVI Dual LInk and HDMI 1.3 (which is what is most common now) are good for up to 2560X1600 resolution at 60hz. No difference in video quality, but HDMI does carry digital audio which is handy if you have a monitor with speakers (assuming it can decode digital audio).  You have to be careful with no name monitors.  Read the specs CLOSELY.  Make sure also the monitors are HDCP compliant.  Cannot imagine a modern monitor that isn't, but you never know.

All panels are LCD.  When you see a monitor advertised as "LED", it refers to the backlighting.  Older LCD monitors usually have CCFL backlights, newer models have LED backlights.  LED is the way to go if you can.  Cooler, more reliable, and instant on.

Avoid using a VGA port.  I set up a system for a client awhile back, nice 24" HP monitor, high buck stuff, and all their cheap tower had was a VGA output.  What a waste of a good monitor.

Ratio- Whether you go 16:10, or 16:9 is up to you.  Personally I like a slightly taller 16:10.  If you watch a lot of movies you may want to go 16:9 as you won't get the black upper/lower bands, and the actual picture will be slightly larger as the default output is 16:9 (1920X1080 or 2560X1440)  If you do a lot of other stuff besides watching movies, consider a 16:10.

Thanks a lot for your kind and quick reply. It was very helpful.

Ok one more thing i want to ask of you.

I am going to buy a LED panel,but i want it for multipurpose.I mean i want to see movies but also using it for computer usage as well.It won't be only for movies.I understood from your post that the top and bottom black bands means that resolution is not complaint.I am currently using 1440*900 (19") is it 4:3??

I just knew that the highest resolution is 1920*1080 and that is of 1080p videos. but what is 1920*1200? is it 16:10?

and what's the purpose of 2560*1600 or 2560*1440 resolution? because logically speaking the highest quality video available today is 1080p and that is 1920*1080 resolution so using a 2560*1600 type of thing,won't it also give black bands and give pixelated visual? (it's like watching a 3gp format video which was used as Nokia video format,to be viewed on 1440*900,obviously pixel would break greatly) am i right or wrong?

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:38 AM

Depending on video settings, you can watch the video at real 1080P resolution, or upsample if you have a larger monitor.  On a 16:10 monitor, you will still have small black bars high and low, but pic quality will be the same. A proper video card can upsample to 2560*1440 without a problem or loss in quality.

Only thing I will warn you about is make sure you have enough video card to push the monitor at it's native resolution.  If your video card can barely render 1920X1080, you are in for a slide show with a bigger monitor with higher resolution.  Games are especially taxing.  This is where the video cards with 3gigs of memory shine.

"and what's the purpose of 2560*1600 or 2560*1440 resolution?"....more real estate.  At the same DPI, a 2560*1600 or 2560*1440 monitor can show a lot more than a 1920*1080/1200.

I am in the same boat as you are.  I am looking for a new 27-30" monitor, but haven't really gotten down to the hard research yet.  I have a 24"  1920*1080 Asus IPS I am still happy with, but I wouldn't mind going bigger.  Its a guy thing I guess.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 awaisagha

awaisagha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:09 AM

Depending on video settings, you can watch the video at real 1080P resolution, or upsample if you have a larger monitor.  On a 16:10 monitor, you will still have small black bars high and low, but pic quality will be the same. A proper video card can upsample to 2560*1440 without a problem or loss in quality.

Only thing I will warn you about is make sure you have enough video card to push the monitor at it's native resolution.  If your video card can barely render 1920X1080, you are in for a slide show with a bigger monitor with higher resolution.  Games are especially taxing.  This is where the video cards with 3gigs of memory shine.

"and what's the purpose of 2560*1600 or 2560*1440 resolution?"....more real estate.  At the same DPI, a 2560*1600 or 2560*1440 monitor can show a lot more than a 1920*1080/1200.

I am in the same boat as you are.  I am looking for a new 27-30" monitor, but haven't really gotten down to the hard research yet.  I have a 24"  1920*1080 Asus IPS I am still happy with, but I wouldn't mind going bigger.  Its a guy thing I guess.

Well, i don't have that big VGA and i am also not intending to buy a graphic card,as i am not much a serious gamer.I just play by chance and depending on mood.So,buying a new vga is out of question here.and as i understood from your reply that i would need a bigger vga in order to use a 2560*1440 thing.Though it would give more space even for computer usage.I understand that.

Currently i am at 1440*900 and i would go for a 1920*1080,that would be enough for me, and i guess my current VGA would support that.

I liked discussing this with you,thanks for this bro and thanks for the useful information you gave.Because whatever i searched on Google,i got more confused.They tell you the pixel depths,refresh rate,buffer speed and over-locking etc etc.I am not going to make an HD video film that i go into this much depth.I am just a home user,trying to enhance the filming experience within my wallet reach.

So,for me 1920*1080 is going to be good.Can you recommend me some good LED panel which would give a really outstanding result.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users