Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot disk failure windows xp!! PLEASE HELP:(

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kimberleys13

Kimberleys13

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:03 AM

I am so exhausted and devastated that I may have lost all my pictures and documents that I am just sick. Eight years of special occasion or just everyday pictures that I always meant to save elsewhere. But never did. Okay, so I got the "blue screen of death" as they say and I tried to reboot and I got the message: DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT DISK AND PRESS ENTER. After hours of searching for it, I found and tried using my Windows XP CD. It goes thru a Windows set-up and you can see files loading in the bottom bar. Then I get the Welcome to set up screen with option to Set up XP or Recover. I choose R for recovery. Then I get a C:/>  prompt with a certain list of acceptable entries with no explanation, so I tried chkdsk and I got the error message: The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems.

At this point, I am stuck out in wonderland here with no idea what to try next. Please help me!! I am desperate. I don't even care if I can use the system again if I can just get it working long enough to get my precious items off it. What should I do next?. It is 4am so I am going to bed now. But please leave me a list of items to check or things to do. I will be back with you after some sleep and a cry:(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:56 AM

It helps if we know what the system manufacturer and model...and the origin of whatever disk you used.  The XP install CDs I have seen reflect no Recover option and OEM disks may reflect such (since there is no standard OEM recovery disk format).

Louis

#3 Kimberleys13

Kimberleys13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:44 PM

Compaq Presario SR2027X. The CD I am referring to is the Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition disk that came with it.  

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:14 PM

HP, Resolving Startup Problems

The hard drive is the basic device to consider anytime things go wrong from the beginning...because all files are on the hard drive.  Boot files, data files, O/S files...all are on the hard drive...and inaccessible if the system cannot boot.

If you have an install CD for Windows MCE...it may include the XP Recovery Console.

First thing to try is gain access to the Recovery Console...then try to run the chkdsk /r command.

http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=95574

Let us know what happens.

Louis

#5 Kimberleys13

Kimberleys13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:19 PM

When I turned on my system to start today, it loaded right away!! Whatever that was about?!! Anyway, I am transferring all my precious 2000+ photo's to online storage and my external wd hdd. and all my documents too. Since I have no idea how long this will last. Thank you for listening. I may have to use the information, since I am sure this isn't the end of whatever problem exist. 

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:29 PM

:thumbup2: , understood. Good luck with moving files.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users