Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

network drive encryption

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wolfeking

wolfeking

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:28 AM

Forgive me if this is the wrong subforum. 

Okay, so here is how I am set up currently: 

Desktop

-Windows 8 Pro 

-1TB RAID array (4 x random extra laptop drives that the smallest happens to be 250GB). 

Work laptop

-Windows XP Pro 

-160GB HDD 

Netbook 

-Ubuntu 12.04LTS 

-60 GB HDD 

Sisters laptop 

-Windows 8 pro 

-320 GB HDD 

Mum's Desktop 

-Windows Vista Business 

-120GB HDD 

I know how to set them all up to be able to access the RAID array as a a network drive, so that is not an issue. Also the drives rad and write faster than the network should be able to access (Wireless N, so 150Mbps connection to sister and mothers computer and Wireless G to the work laptop). 

MY question is, if I use a portable Truecrypt software to encrypt some of the files, will I just have to place it on the network drive and launch it from there, or am I going to have to install it on every computer that needs to access the encrypted files? (I really should know this, but I don't). Also, will the many OSes make a difference? Will the portable launch from for the Linux machine, or am I going to have to install to that one and use portable for the windows machines?

If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.

I personally do not trust new products or webcams. This is why my desktop is 3 years old, and my laptops older than that. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:56 PM

Did you check this link related? http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/sharing-over-network

Tekken

#3 wolfeking

wolfeking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:24 AM

No offense, but that link answers neither of the questions. It simply says network sharing has 2 options. 

The question was would the portable version be fine when stored on the network drive ,and would the portable work with a Linux access computer. 

If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.

I personally do not trust new products or webcams. This is why my desktop is 3 years old, and my laptops older than that. 

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:13 PM

Wolf, I am not sure if this answers your question or not https://securityinabox.org/en/truecrypt_portable but from the looks of it in the "Setup" window of the install steps it clearly states it's not installed on any machine. Also it looks like you'd need the Linux version for Ubuntu. But without actually downloading and trying it, I am just guessing.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:08 PM

CaveDweller is correct on his suggestion. The portable version is only use for most part a volume container location option for encrypted files so running on network sharing files (on hard drive partition) would probably be better on the host computer by running the truecrypt exe software, saving and setting it directly on the network drive to share the encrypted location according to the article I've read http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/tutorial

Tekken

#6 wolfeking

wolfeking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:47 AM

I will check out the suggestions in a bit. Currently working on a reinstall on the 2 work machines. 

#7 wolfeking

wolfeking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:35 PM

Okay, so an update and kind of resolve to this issue. Instead of storing the files on the networked drive, what I have instead done is bought a 1TB external drive, formatted it to NTFS under Windows Vista Ultimate, and using that for the work files. From what I have figured out, it works fine mounting the drive in Linux (Ubuntu 12.04 and !# 11) is almost hassle free. I have notices that sometimes the drive will not register on crunchbang, but a quick reboot has fixed it so far. I think it is an issue with my USB3 card(expresscard on my laptop). I will test that farther and replace if necessary. Not yet tried to mount the drive in windows XP, but I don't foresee an issue there. 

Thanks for the links though. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users