Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"error loading operating system"

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Iscariot

Iscariot

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:28 PM

When I start my PC, I get the message "error loading operating system". If I restart and go into the boot menu, I can bypass this message and my computer loads normally, seeing no issues whatsoever.

Running Windows 7 on an iBuyPower Gamer Paladin D827.

System was running normally yesterday. Installed a Java update before getting off last night.

Edited by Iscariot, 18 October 2013 - 11:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,283 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:14 AM

Try running the chkdsk /r command.  Possibly damaged files.

Louis

#3 Iscariot

Iscariot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:15 PM

-=New Information=-

While booting up the computer, before I run into the error, I press the 'DEL' key and go into the 'ASUS EFI BIOS Utility - EZ Mode' and it shows me the 'Boot Priority' tree. When I was looking at it, it had the order set to my External HDD which I use for media storage, then my DVD Drive, followed by my Flash Drive. I can go into the Boot Menu and manually select my main HDD and it loads normally. After shutting my PC down and removing the External HDD and Flash Drive from their USB ports, I have no issue loading Windows. As far as I can tell, something happened that started telling my PC to boot from my External rather than my main HDD.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,283 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:46 AM

Well...either you manually changed the settings...or your CMOS battery may be weakening/failing.  Such changes of CMOS settings are known to occur when the system CMOS battery needs to be replaced.

CMOS battery is less than $5, available just about anywhere selling watch/electronics batteries (CR 2032).

Just a guess.

Louis

#5 Iscariot

Iscariot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:34 AM

The only thing I did different the night before was run a Java Update before turning my PC off for the night.

#6 Iscariot

Iscariot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:33 PM

After booting my PC up after I unplugged the External HDD and the USB Drive, I have not been getting the 'Error loading operating system' message. I assume the issue resolved itself by re-assigning my main HDD as the first in line in boot priority.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,283 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:21 PM

The boot order doesn't normally change...inless manually changed or the CMOS battery is weakening.

If the CMOS battery were weakening...chances are that the boot order would default to trying a network boot.

If your external hard drive is always on (has no off switch), that can interfere with the boot process but I don't think the system will display the particular error message quoted.  It would just get stuck because it could not complete recognition of hardware components.

One of your two USB devices may have a functionality problem if...when removed from the system equation, system boots normally

Louis

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:14 AM

The boot order doesn't normally change...inless manually changed or the CMOS battery is weakening.

Thanks for this nugget Louis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users