Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Since DDoS BleepingComputer difference in MalwareBytes download hashes?..

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TheKnightFromVacha

TheKnightFromVacha

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:57 PM

Since DDoS BleepingComputer difference in MalwareBytes download hashes?..

Hello, To Whom It May Concern, this is my introduction on this forum:

The reason is because I needed a fresh copy of MalwareBytes last week, & on that moment there was a DDoS-attack in progress on Bleepingcomputer.com (Information regarding October 10th's DDOS attack - News).

I got it later from MalwareBytes.org directly.

Later I checked BleepingComputer.com again after the DDos, & downloaded also a copy of MalwareBytes. Because BleepingComputer.com is an official mirror, & I'm quite security-minded, I checked the hashes.

They did not compare... I triple-triple checked...

There are not only differences in the hashes, but also, obvious, in file-size, & digital signatures.

First I wrote an article about it on the Dutch forum of Security.nl, where I have bin advised to warn MalwareBytes.org as well as BleepingComputer.com. Hereby...

Therefore the question: Who (& why) is what wrong?

Ilja. _\\//

P.S: Identical post on MalwareBytes.org Forum.

Edited by TheKnightFromVacha, 18 October 2013 - 05:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:34 PM

We are a mirror and MBAM is updated constantly so our hashes may fall out sync here and there. Nothing nefarious going on. Will see what I can do to tighten up the time frame between syncs.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

It is the exact same program except that each affiliate has their own ID so that they get credit for the download.

So the MD5 has will be different for every affiliate.

The program from Bleepingcomputer is safe and if one ever does have a doubt about any file you can manually submit it and have it scanned by https://www.virustotal.com

This is the Open Forum reply that was posted by Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Forum Administrator.

Please post this back to your "Dutch forum of Security" to assure them of the program.

Thank You for using Bleeping Computer for trusted downloads.

EDIT -

I got it later from MalwareBytes.org directly. <= See below.

There is no direct download from Malwarebytes.org as they are not able to handle the traffic, and you are redirected to a mirror.

Edited by noknojon, 19 October 2013 - 09:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users