Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrading heatsink+thermal paste

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 xydrothedusk

xydrothedusk

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:55 PM

want suggestions as to a good heat sink thats not to costly no more than $150. and thermal paste to apply, whats pros and cons to conductability of themal paste?

have a AMD quad core phenon™ 9500 2.20 GHz

dunno wut motherbored its the factory one, comp is HP Pavillion media Center m833of

ordered a new card going to be installed as soon as i get it.

EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P4-3656-KR GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 SLI Support Video Card

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:34 AM

Hi, there is quite a few good CPU coolers available on the market. If your looking for a simple bang for the buck cooler that performs pretty well then the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo would be up for the job.

Edited by killerx525, 19 October 2013 - 07:29 PM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:38 AM

Just Curious, Why change the heat sink.

Speaking generally name brand computers such as HP or Dell have properly sized heat sinks and are also designed to run cool and quiet.

I would make sure the power supply can handle that Video card. When I looked that card up I see,

"System Requirements 450W Power Supply"

Quite often HP computers come with smaller power supplies as they size them to fit the system as delivered.

Good Luck

Roger

P.S. if You were just changing the Thermal Compound (paste) I'd suggest Arctic Silver.

Edited by rotor123, 19 October 2013 - 10:41 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 xydrothedusk

xydrothedusk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:26 PM

will have to look into the power supply, thx for heads up, as far as arctic silver, which one, i read on a review that not all work well with what i assume is a aluminum heatsink(current one)

#5 xydrothedusk

xydrothedusk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:30 PM

also whould the upgraded power supply damage any of my existing hardware?

do i just need to upgrade to a 450w or should i go higher. also whats a good cost efficient brand?

Edited by xydrothedusk, 19 October 2013 - 04:37 PM.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:53 PM

Hi, I would suggest Visiting the Arctic Silver website at http://www.arcticsilver.com/

and read the information on the different products.

They also have a link for Application Methods

Also I have always used isopropyl alcohol from the drug store or Grocery Store for cleaning surfaces prior to using Thermal Compound. Get the 90+ percent bottle, it has less water in it and it is also inexpensive.

Hopefully Killerx525 will have a suggestion for a good Power Supply, Can I guess that yours was low wattage?

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 19 October 2013 - 04:53 PM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:56 PM

I Almost forgot. No a upgraded Power supply should not damage any of the existing hardware. The hardware will only draw the amount of power it needs.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:49 PM

Hi, if your looking for a budget power supply then the Corsair CX430M is capable of powering the system with its new graphics card but if you could spend a bit more then a gold efficiency power supply like the Seasonic SSR-450RM would do the trick.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#9 xydrothedusk

xydrothedusk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:43 PM

so i jus got the graphic card and psu in, had issue with graphics card fitting, blocks the sata ports, can i get away with fitting a 90 degree sata connector under the graphics card and also when i hooked up the psu it didn't turn on old graphics card and the fans( tower fan and processor heat sink fan) came on for a few seconds then turned off, replaced with old psu to see if something wrong but it was fine, can anyone explain why this is happening with new psu.

CORSAIR CX500M 500W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

got this one instead 430w, seemed right since graphics card required 450w, correct me if am wrong.

Edited by xydrothedusk, 22 October 2013 - 11:46 PM.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:06 AM

If You are saying that the old power supply runs the computer then the new power supply must be defective, It happens to the best.

The only thing to check is be sure the new power supply is connected properly. For example the 6pin PCIe connector must not be used for the 4pin or 8 pin motherboard connector. Also check that the Modular plugs are in OK. A power supply will turn off to protect itself if there is a overload or short circuit.

it looks like this is contact for Corsair

Support is here

I can not check these as it appears they are having website problems right now.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#11 xydrothedusk

xydrothedusk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:37 PM

so it seems that i cannot connect graphics card in without unplugging the SATA connectors, and clearance is issue so no 90 degree connectors. instead ama just go with upgrading motherbored. can i use same CPU or is it worth getting new with motherbored. have total 3gb ram can i switch over to new one.

requests for suggestions.

motherbored and/or CPU

Ram.

hardware to keep in mind.

EVGA Geforce GTX 650 Ti Boost 1gb

2 320gb WD HD. need total of 3 sata ports.

also wanting to keep same HD and DVD tray.

Again my computer is a HP Pavillion media Center m833of

the only changes to factory hardware has been the Niveda GT 430 (which is going to be replaced.

will need good help. as far as if everything new is going to fit, mainly the motherbored inside my tower. thats only thing thats not rly changing. if anyone throws up options of other cases will look but most of moneys gotta go inside. want good ranges on pries. pros and cons, essentially all help i can get.

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:21 PM

Hi, I think You will find that it is easier to get a different video card that clears the SATA connectors.

For example:

1. Many ports that hook up with cables in the HP will not reach with a new motherboard.

2, You will discover that Windows will most likely not run due to the hardware change and will instead start to boot and then give a BSOD.

3. If You ever need to reload Windows You will have to use a OEM disk, The HP system recovery will not run on a non HP motherboard.

4. Depending on what CPU and Memory you have they may need to be replaced.

For these reasons I suggest replacing the video card instead.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#13 xydrothedusk

xydrothedusk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:29 PM

i have a windows 7 install disk, thats not a issue, but the system is 7 or 8 yrs old, should i not upgrade since i alrdy got some parts? its either that or buying a new computer. and that route tends to be more expensive. as far as cable, the only cables that i left in were the sata cables and fan power cables. the card reader and front panel ports that hooked up to the tv card were taken out alrdy withe the tv card. if i need to buy longer sata cables thats not a issue. so still leaning twards new hardware. i just need to know what i need to buy, this is gonna take me a couple paychecks but thats fine. need to do anyways. things ancient, only reason it last is i took good care of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users