Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC runs between 2 - 20 mins then 'no signal'

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 20LEgend

20LEgend

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:27 PM

Was hoping for some fresh input. Been stumped for a couple of weeks. I have an Acer Aspire AG3760 desktop. Vista home basic. It boots up so not completely dead, I can even get online if it doesn't cut off too quickly. But anywhere between 2 and 20 minutes I hear a faint click from the tower and the screen goes black and I get a 'no signal' message. The tower still lit up, fans spinning, only the drive light stopping is the only physical change. I cleaned out the tower, renewed the thermal paste, restored factory settings, tried two different monitors, tried a second PSU, swapped the socket my RAM is sat in as well as testing the RAM. I even had a desktop fan blowing directly into the tower. There is no video card, it's inbuilt. The mobo is a G31T M5, psu is ATX250PA, celeron 2.2. I apologise for lack of paragraphs, can't seem to do it with my tablet.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:13 PM

Clicks...are normally associated with failing hard drives, which would seem the logical item to check...but you seem to have ignored it.

I think it's time to try to ascertain if it is the problem...by running a hard drive diagnostic.

SeaTools for DOS Tutorial - http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/201271en , please read all instructions before attempting to run the long test.

Louis

#3 20LEgend

20LEgend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:47 PM

Thanks Louis, my only concern is that if it's a long test I know the computer will shut off before it's run its course.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:16 PM

If the computer shuts off...that's not necessarily a hard drive issue.

The diagnostic should be able to run to completion...unless your unknown system problem (obviously hardware) shuts the system downl.

IMO, it's a lot easier to check the hard drive...than to try to troubleshoot the reasons for unknown system shutdowns.  Let's establish what it is NOT, before going on to other possible issues.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users