Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intro - and Thank you!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Old DOS Guy

Old DOS Guy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:14 PM

Hello all,

My first post, as you would expect.  My handle "Old DOS Guy" relates to the fact that I started with the OLD DOS computers; actually, one of the first commonly available home computing platforms known as CP/M, "Control Program for Microcomputers" - around 1980, using the Intel 8080 based microcomputer, "Morrow Micro-Decision".  The O/S was developed by by Gary Kildall of Digital Research, Inc., and led to MS-DOS 3.1 and so on.

Each 5 1/2 inch paper floppy held a different program: Personal Pearl database, a spreadsheet program, WordStar word processor, MS Word's precursor.  MS Word still allows many original keystroke shorthand commands, such as Ctrl-B for "Bold Print."

Back then, you got a "Command Prompt" - "C:\ >" - that just stared at you until you figured out what to do.  The books were mainly insanely geekish and incomprehensible, talking about, for instance, "unambiguous file name" - now that meant nothing to me for years!

So, I taught myself batch file commands, then GW-Basic, than onto programming with other Basic type high level interpreters, ending up with work on MS Access using Visual Basic and Access Basic.

I picked up some other stuff along the way, but never actually took a college programming class, although I received some training at my work place and became the resident expert, of sorts, there.  When I ran into trouble, I consulted sites like this one (in later years, when the world awakened to technology), or worked with consultants.

So my presence here is mainly one of interest; I suspect that most regular posters at this site have surpassed me.  But I had a great ride.  At one time, I was teaching computer investigations to law enforcement with Mr. McAfee, who had the block on his newly acquired expertise, "Computer Viruses," which was just dawning as a real threat to the computer world.

My Thank you is because I had a question about WinZIP Quick Pick, which was promptly answered here by a Google search.  Thank you!

I am also impressed with the many excellent freeware downloands - several of which I have used for quite some time and can attest to being truly excellent and useful software!  Calibre, for instance, has opened a world of literally thousands of wonderful free public domain books from the Internet; and many utilities here are also bulletproof and useful.

Thank you for such a great site.  I won't be giving much advice here, if any, but I am impressed with this forum.

Cheers -

Old DOS Guy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:36 PM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer

Thank You for the interesting read, It seems Your computer experience started a few years before mine. I did use CP/M briefly before moving on. Some of the first BBS systems I accessed were CP/M based.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Old DOS Guy

Old DOS Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:28 PM

Roger,

You have a wonderful site. 

And it is better than my memory, 'cause I forgot that I actually started with the Tandy TRS-80, now unfairly called the "Trash 80," which was fed data from a reel on a standard tape cassette using whatever recorder/player that you had available, including Radio Shack's version.  TRS Basic was actually my first language.  But the was extremely limited computing; mainly simpler-than-Donkey Kong type games, a very simple word processor, and the like.

Yes, if you even know about CP/M, you are indeed a walking legacy!

John

Thanks for the reply.  Best wishes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users