Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Genuine windows ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 terryw45

terryw45

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:42 AM

My computer crashed and it went to the shop for repair, came back running windows 7, 32 bit, everything was fine for months. Suddenly now a window pops up saying 'this copy of windows is not genuine'. Have I picked up something or is it not genuine?  It continues to update normally. 

Anyone have any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:34 AM

Who installed Windows 7 on your PC? And from what media? 

#3 terryw45

terryw45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:36 AM

The local shop, no idea which media, I was on XP before.

#4 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

If you go to System Properties by holding down the 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_47. key and pressing pause break in the top right of the keyboard, does it say Windows Activated if you scroll down to the bottom?

Either they gave you an illegal install of Windows or there's a problem with the product key.

If it's an illegal version of Windows then when your computer ran Windows update it patched the method of activation that it was using thus causing your pc being flagged for not being genuine.

A lot of times reactivating the PC will resolve the issue if it's a legit copy of Windows. This can be accomplished by the System Properties box and on the bottom click Activate Windows.

Here is a guide to help you activate Windows if you have any problems.

Also something to check as well is the software protection service to see if it's set to Automatic and not Manual.

1.Press the 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_47. key and type services.msc in the search box.

2.Go to where you see Software Protection service and see what its set to. *It should be Automatic*

*Please try this as well to see if it goes through successful*

1. Press the 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_47. key and type slmgr.vbs /dlv

2. A dialog box should pop up.

Edited by chrisd87, 18 October 2013 - 12:19 PM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#5 terryw45

terryw45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:14 PM

Chrisd87, ok, tried that, no mention of the 'activation, word. So, I guess I've got a pirate!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,875 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:19 PM

You need to contact the person who installed it and get a license/key, if you paid for the install.

Louis

#7 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:46 PM

You need to contact the person who installed it and get a license/key, if you paid for the install.

Louis

I would contact the shop/person as well and tell them that you are experiencing this issue, and you want to make sure that you're running a legal version of Windows. You stated that it's been running fine for months which indicates that they had to use some form of activation because if you don't activate on a new copy you only get 30 days to use the OS without being prompted to activate. IMO, sounds like a pirated version, so I would contact them and have a chat.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#8 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:39 PM

The local shop, no idea which media, I was on XP before.

Was Windows previously pre-installed on your PC?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users