Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C++11 Compiler

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 looney2340

looney2340

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:47 PM

Hi everyone,

I have been out of loop for awhile and want to get practicing again with c++ and saw it is now c++11.  Anyone know of a compiler i can use to practice code ?  I have VB 6.0 installed anyone know if its possible to use it with all the new features of c++11 ?  I have downloaded and want to start to read the sams teach yourself C++11 and want to practice with the codes in the chapters and need a compiler.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:27 AM

VB6 and C++11 are completely unrelated languages -- you can use Windows mechanisms like COM to communicate between them, but they're just different languages.

GCC and Clang are both mostly complete open source implementations of C++11. If you're looking for something a bit closer to the VB 6 IDE, consider one of the Visual Studio Express Editions, such as Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows Desktop.\

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 looney2340

looney2340
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:48 PM

I like the idea of visual studios 2013 can you use 2010 or lower or is 2013 the only one compatible with C++11 ?  If not where can i get the 2013 version is microsoft site only place to get it ?  I dont have an id and password to log on.

Hank

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:42 PM

I'm not sure why you'd want to use an earlier compiler -- they have many more bugs in conformance. VS adds new C++ features in each release. Some C++11 features are supported in 2010, but that's the earliest version.

You can create an ID and password for free -- the Express Editions are free, you just sign in using your Microsoft account.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:14 PM

http://coliru.stacked-crooked.com/

:)

#6 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:20 PM

If you're going to go there, http://ideone.com/ :)

(Which also includes various other languages, e.g. C, C++03, Objective-C, Java, etc.)
Posted Image

#7 looney2340

looney2340
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:50 PM

Thanks guys,

I am going to get the express edition of the 2013 desktop version and see how it works out.  I know they made alot of changes to the way it looks and acts ill have to play around with it a little to get used to it first. 

#8 alexstone

alexstone

• Banned Spammer
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

Try CodeBlocks IDE. It`s freeware!!!

#9 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:51 PM

Alexstone, Code::Blocks is not a compiler. (Though often it is installed alongside GCC, which is)

Billy3
Posted Image

#10 alexstone

alexstone

• Banned Spammer
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:33 AM

Thank you for reply Bill O`Neal.

I know that Code::Blocks is not a compiler, it`s Integrated Development Environment. I just want to say, I found it more easy in use than Microsoft Visual Studio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users