Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toaster.exe???

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:11 PM

Hey everyone,

So from what i know about this process is it has something to do with dells back up. In task manger it is running from alienrespawn. ( alienwares backup program) normally i wouldnt care, but it is running active on my nvidia gpu. I really would prefer my gpu only running games through optimus and intels hd integrated graphics for everything else. Does anyone have any insight on why this process has to use my gpu? And what i could do about it? I have an alienware 14 , 2013 model running 64bit home premium. Thank you!

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:00 PM

DELL.COM > Community > Support Forums: Toaster.exe
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 acerts04

acerts04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:17 PM

Thanks for the reply, but the link isnt working for me. I did some google research and read some forum posts, but i am still not understanding why it is using my nvidia gpu and why

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:14 AM

The Dell forum link is working for me....anyway it says the process belongs to Dell DataSafe Local Backup. Other topics I found said Dell DataSafe Local Backup was part of the SoftThinks Agent Service

What is DataSafe Local Backup

Press the WINKEY + R keys on the keyboard or click StartBtn.gif > Run..., and in the Open dialog box, type: services.msc
Click OK or press Enter.
-- Vista/Windows 7 users may need to refer to these instructions: How to Enable Run Command.

Alternatively, you can click on the Start Orb and in the Search box type: services.msc or simply go to Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Administrative Tools and double-click on the Services option. If prompted by the User Access Control, click the Continue button.

Windows Services will open:
  • Click the Extended tab at the bottom to view all the info on your services.
  • In the Services applet, scroll down the list and find the service called SoftThinks Agent Service.
  • Double-click SoftThinks Agent Service to open the Properties page.
  • In the Properties Window > General Tab that opens, click the "Stop" button.
  • From the drop-down menu next to "Startup Type", click on "Manual".
  • Click "Apply", then "OK" and close any open windows. Instructions with screenshots for:[list]

A Dell member also provided these instructions if the above does not work.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users