Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMD graphics card crashes

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Hubbardja

Hubbardja

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

So, about a day or two ago, I started to get some crashes from my AMD graphics card. It came up with the error message "the AMD driver has crashed but recovered" (something like that, I don't bother to actually turn my PC on anymore because of how frequently it crashes). It started out as something that would only happen to me when I played my games on steam, but now it happens pretty much as soon as I start up my computer. It results in either a flash in the screen followed by the message that the driver recovered, or the driver just shuts down totally and I get no image on screen. I was looking for some help on how to get this fixed up.

PC specs:
Motherboard: MB ASUS|P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0) P67
graphics card: VGA XFX | HD-695X-ZNFC HD6950 1G R
processor: CPU INTEL|CORE I7 2600K 3.4G 8M R
power supply: PSU TT|TR2 RX 750W W0382RU RT

If you need any additional info, please let me know. I only posted those parts because I figured they were the only things that mattered. Also, I'd be willing to hardware or software suggestions, I did build the PC so I'm fairly familiar with it, though I'd describe myself as moderately savvy with tech, so don't go to crazy with abbreviations and such. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:55 PM

Start with the easy things first and get progressively more detailed;

>Make sure that the cooling fan on the card (assuming it has one) is still operating, and the heatsink is not stuffed with dust.

>While you are in there, clean the dust off everything, especially the CPU heatsink and fan. I take my units out on the back deck and reverse a small hand vacuum and crevice tool to blow the dust out. Works great.

>Remove the card; gently clean the contacts by wiping with a paper towel, soft pencil erasor, etc. Reinstall and make sure it is level and latched tight.

>Enter safe mode and see if the crashes stop. If they do, something (probably a driver) is being loaded in normal boot that is causing the crashes. At least you now know that the card physically is good

>If still no joy, delete and reinstall the video card drivers in case there was corruption.

>IF you can get your hands on another card, swap it out and run the computer with that card. If there are no crashes, reinstall your original card. If the crashes start again and you have done all the above, sounds like the card has failed.

Edited by ranchhand_, 17 October 2013 - 10:58 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users