Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Turning in work computer, need to erase all data.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Insaneman1731

Insaneman1731

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:23 PM

Hello all,

I was doing some research through Google but couldn't find the exact answer I was looking for so I wanted to post here. I will be turning in a work laptop that I also used for personal stuff as well. I will be deleting all files off the computer I have saved, uninstall programs etc but I want to be extra secure and just make sure everything is gone. I just re-read that and I'm sure it sounds fishy but I am just a private person and don't want my work knowing my personal stuff. I was looking at dban but that completely destroys your hard drive I believe. Anyone have any quick suggestions?

Thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:40 PM

DBAN is the only sure way.

Afterwards you can install a copy of Ubuntu Linux. Or you if you Windows DVD, then note down product key, save your Windows/Office activation, erase hard disk with DBAN, re-install Windows using the product key, and restore the activation. You would need Advanced Tokens Manager for saving product key and activation.

If you do not erase entire disk, then something always remains somewhere and you will always remain in doubt.

#3 Nivacs

Nivacs

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:14 PM

You may want to check with your IT department.  Since the Laptop is owned by the company you may not be legally allowed to erase any data from it.  I have seen large corporations pursue legal action from someone erasing a system, claiming they did it to destroy company owned data.

If you get permission then I agree with Romeo, running Ubuntu installer should wipe the partition and FAT tables to sufficiently erase the machine.

Edited by Nivacs, 18 October 2013 - 03:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users