Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 UFEI BIOS - Cannot Run .exe

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 gman863

gman863

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:09 PM

I'm working on a Sony VIAO E-series notebook with factory installed Windows 8 64-bit that is giving me fits on attempting to remove malware or reformat the drive.

There is a malware program simply called "Internet Security" that runs at startup and does a "scan" listing fake infections.

First, the infection locks me out of running any ".exe" files such as TDDS, HitmanPro, IO Bit Malware Fighter, etc.  When I try, I get an information baloon popup at the bottom right stating "file.exe is infected with a worm blaster.  Please activate security software."

I also cannot access command prompt or system settings.  When I try, the program automatically closes after about one second and often closes the desktop, reverting to the metro "tile" screen.  Same for task manager.

Since this is a UFEI-based system, the traditional "F8" (safe mode) and "F12" (boot device) options are unavailable at startup.  If I insert a Windows 8 OEM disc in the DVD drive, it ignores it.  If I try to start the disk from within Windows, I get the "file.exe is infected..." message noted above.  (Note that this problem also prevents me from running a stand-alone boot CD as well.)

Given I can't run software, can't change system settings and can't do a "safe mode" or alternate drive boot, What options (if any) do I have to fix this.  If I can somehow get to boot from DVD, I have a full OEM Windows 8 disc I could reinstall.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:30 PM

I'll report this topic to appropriate helpers.

1. Please let us know what Windows version you have and if it's 32- or 64-bit.
2. Is the computer bootable in any mode?

Hold on there....

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 gman863

gman863
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:49 PM

It's Win 8 64-bit premium (home) that shipped preinstalled on the PC.

The computer starts up into Win 8.  As noted above, it will not run or install any programs (*.exe files), nor will it let me make any changes to system settings.

Although I could try removing the hard drive and reformatting it, I have instead stopped the project and returned the PC to my client and told him to take it to an authorized Sony service center.  The PC is still under warranty.  Although he will still have to pay them for the malware removal and/or reformat (not covered under mfr. warranty), I do not want to risk a finger-pointing liability issue in case Sony attempts to claim I voided the warranty by removing the hard drive or deal with further issues if the infection damaged the drive or BIOS.

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,932 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:05 AM

Hello, and sorry for the delay. Can you please try and see if the following runs?

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:
  • Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
  • Notepad will open with the results.
  • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
  • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.

Information on A/V control HERE

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#5 HelpBot

HelpBot

Bleepin' Binary Bot

• Bots
  • 12,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:15 AM

Hello again!

I haven't heard from you in 5 days. Therefore, I am going to assume that you no longer need our help, and close this topic.

If you do still need help, please send a Private Message to any Moderator within the next five days. Be sure to include a link to your topic in your Private Message.

Thank you for using Bleeping Computer, and have a great day!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users