Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC starts when I hit any key on the keyboard

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 zzdave

zzdave

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:52 PM

Hi,

When I shut my computer down in the normal way (Start, shut down, turn off) it appears to close down normally.

But I only have to hit a keyboard key (any key), and the computer starts up again.

It appears as though it only goes into goes into hibernation so under Power Options I cleared the check box that said to use the keyboard to wake on hibernation. But that doesn't work either.

If I turn off the computer using the power on button on the PC case, then it really turns off and wont awake when I press a key.

I am a bit worried by this. I don't have any "unusual" programs though I do have a few utilities installed.

My system is Windows XP Pro SP3 all updated.

Can anyone tell me why this happens and how I can stop it please.

Thanks

Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:19 PM

It`s usually caused by hung process at shutdown. remove all external devices and test if the computer shuts down. There are known usb

conflicting devices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users