Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how do I stop outlook express from pestering me to compact messages?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hipshot

hipshot

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:54 PM

Each time I view an item in one of my folders, such as "my documents" & close it that damn message appears asking if I want outlook express to compact messages! I'm sick of it, but don't know how to stop it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:32 PM

The only way to stop it from asking is with a registry edit. If you are comfortable with registry edits be sure and back yours up prior to making the following changes. If you don't know how to back up your registry please see the following: Backing up the Registry. Once you have your registry backed up you can proceed here: How to stop Outlook Express asking to compact messages.

If you are not comfortable making registry edits then unfortunately you'll just have to keep clicking cancel.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:39 PM

If you are not comfortable making registry edits then unfortunately you'll just have to keep clicking cancel.

Or say yes and compact.

This article Why You Should Let Outlook Express Compact Messages When It Asks You explains exactly what compacting messages is, and why you may be seeing that message. It's possible that you don't have a lot of kept mail; however, OE stores messages within a database, which tends to grow in size and degrade the perfomance of OE. Even previously deleted messages that are removed from OE take up space in that database. Compacting your folders will REMOVE all the records that you have deleted. It may simply be a case of to many so called deleted messages are sitting somewhere on your computer, taking up drive space. This is explained in more detail in the section "What Does Compacting Messages Mean, and What Happens?"

To manually compact OE:

Open Outlook Express.

Click on the "File" menu in the Outlook Express window and then click on "Folder."

Click on the "Compact All Folders" option. The compacting process will start. Once it starts do not stop or interrupt it.

Having said that, there have been reports that compaction has caused emails to be lost. I never had that happen when I using OE so the choice is yours to make.

#4 hipshot

hipshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:38 PM

I thank you both for the help & suggestion to reset the registry. Since I have never used outlook express, there was nothing to compact in messages or elsewhere! So, I took care of the problem in the registry. Thank you again. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users