Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Graphics Card Issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 XanderCrews

XanderCrews

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:43 PM

Hey all, new to the forum just looking for some help with upgrading my graphics card.

Current machine specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)

3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3770

Board: Acer Aspire M3970 

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. P03-A3 04/18/2012

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

8156 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

520w Mega Power PSU

I am trying to swap out my 550 ti for a new Gigabyte Geforce 660 (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4361#ov)

After installing the 660, my machine will not boot. Machine will turn on, display the acer logo briefly, all fans are spinning even the drive sounds like its active, beeps once and sits on the acer logo, cant even access the BIOS settings when I try to boot with the new card in. 

Card functions fine on my other machine (Acer AM5630 http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=27378) so I know its not dead.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I have flashed my mother boards BIOS to the latest release, the cards BIOS is already up to date according to Gigabyte tech support. I have tried everything I can think of, please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:59 PM

Well, you can see a logo when it boots, so the card is working. 

What power supply is in the other system that boots with your new card?  What are the 12V+ rail ratings on your current "Mega Power" PSU?

Unlikely, but remove all NVidia drivers and set it to boot in VGA mode and see if that changes anything.  A base 660 draws about 25 more watts than a 550TI, not much but if you have a borderline PSU, you never know.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 XanderCrews

XanderCrews
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:03 PM

Other system has the identical power supply, same brand same, same model.

aU6Efm9.jpg

I would try to boot it in vga with the 660 in, however I cant even access the bios when its in. Even with the old 500 ti in my bios settings dont allow me to change any GPU boot settings, i.e. I dont have a way of setting the machine to boot in VGA mode regardless of which card is plugged in.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:16 PM

No, just boot with your old card.  Remove ALL NVidia drivers so it boots into VGA mode/default mode.  Shut down, swap cards and see if there is any difference.  Slim chance, but........

Odd problem.  At least you have extra systems/parts to start swapping in order to find the weak link.  That is a luxury a lot do not have.  You might google around and see if there is any compatability concerns that pop up with that video card and motherboard combo. Who knows, maybe a BIOS update will help.

I have worked problems like this before and it is just time consuming swapping parts till you find the problem child. 

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 XanderCrews

XanderCrews
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:30 PM

Tried removing all drivers and booting with the card in, no luck. Updated the BIOS on my board already with no luck either. Starting to think its just incompatible with the board I have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users