Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive usage discrepancy

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 w411

w411

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

This is a new one for me, migrating data from an XP system to a new Windows 7 Home Premium system.  On small drive previous system I always dump the entire contents into a folder for customers in case down the road they remember some strange location where they had some data stored.

Windows 7 shows 11.9 GB free of 38.2 GB (approx 26 GB used) connected with an IDE to USB cable, but when I dragged the entire drive to a folder it was only showing about 4 GB worth of files.  Discovered the user had made files private trying to implement a "secure XP system". I took ownership at the drive level for all subfolders and objects and still am only seeing 16 GB of files . . . somewhere are 10 GB of missing data.

The XP system is not bootable so I can't do a comparison on the actual running system either.

User is a bare bones knowledge user and I don't see any evidence of a TrueCrypt installation. 

Comments? Questions? Any thoughts appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 w411

w411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

Another oddity, if I CTRL A and right click at the root of the XP drive I see 50,148 files and 5,320 folders, but if I drag everything that is selected to a folder on the Windows 7 drive the dialog box reads copying 3,889 items (1.64 GB) . . . 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users