Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC wants to format my flahh drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tintin1012000

tintin1012000

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:09 AM

Hey all,
Just joined so be nice !!

I have problems with my 64gb Verbatim flash drive where by my Laptop wants to format it when i plug it in, The strange thing is that this drive works perfect on other computers, I have used it on XP and 7 OS with no problems, I have a 1TB Verbatim USB 3 external drive and this works on my PC with no issue,

My laptop OS was only re-installed 2 weeks back but this issue has been happening for the past month,

Any ideas, ???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wolfeking

wolfeking

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:19 AM

Have you tried multiple USB ports on the problem computer to ensure it is not a port issue?  Also, what Operating systems have you tried? Is it USB 2 or USB 3 (key and port)? 

Last time I had an issue with this, a reboot fixed the issue, but that was with windows 8 and a deity knows what running in the background (was sisters laptop).  

If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.

I personally do not trust new products or webcams. This is why my desktop is 3 years old, and my laptops older than that. 

#3 tintin1012000

tintin1012000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:09 AM

I have tried all 3 USB ports, its USB 2 key

When I try let XP format the drive it wont do that either

#4 wolfeking

wolfeking

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:45 AM

Okay, lets try and limit the possible issues. Is there any way that you can boot the offending computer with a Linux CD (Live boot and it will run from RAM and make no permanent changes). The Idea is to test the key with the same machine and different software to determine if the problem is in windows, or the USB subsystem. 

If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.

I personally do not trust new products or webcams. This is why my desktop is 3 years old, and my laptops older than that. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users