Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excel 2007 Startup Routine

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Magic Sam

Magic Sam

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:41 AM

For years I have been using Office 2007 within Windows XP perfectly adequately, mainly Word and Excel. For the past few weeks however whenever I fire up Excel, directly or by clicking on an xls file, the program persists in going through first its Setup Process ("Please wait while Setup prepares the necessary files") followed by the even longer Configuration Process ("Configuring MS Office Professional Plus 2007 .."). Once this is completed things operate normally.  This happens only with Excel not with Word.  I must have inadvertently altered some setting.

How can I get back to the original state?  It's too late for System Restore now.

Tks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:18 PM

Do you have more than one version of Office or Excel installed? This can cause this particular problem. Uninstall the version you don't use or don't want to use.

It may be the case that the Excel installation is damaged. You can run the Office Diagnostics tool from within Excel to try and fix the problem (scroll down to "How to repair problems in 2007 Office programs and features that are already installed"): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924611

#3 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:34 AM

"Getting warmer" as they say but not there yet.

I used to have an older version of Excel 2003, I believe, installed (but not used) concurrently with 2007. However this did not seem to affect the operation of Excel 2007.  As I recall it this 2007 start-up + configuration syndrome only started when I deleted Excel 2003. With luck the link that you have sent will give me some clues how to resolve the conflict or whatever it is. Tks.

#4 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:15 AM

The good news: Office Diagnostics found and fixed an (unspecified) problem I think within Setup Diagnostic.

The bad news: This has not made any difference to my Excel startup Setup and Configuring routine which reoccurred on two subsequent test runs.

Back to square one I fear.

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,214 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:50 AM

So you did have an older version of Excel on the computer. Did you use the uninstall process in control panel to delete it? It is possible that while the program is gone, the license for the old Excel version is still on your computer, and this is known to create the kind of problem you are having.

Try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2639197 It's for the entire Office suite, but will work with Excel standalones.

#6 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:38 PM

I most likely used Add/Remove programs to remove Excel 2003 and only if nothing showed up in the populated list, or in Revo Uninstall, I would have deleted the file / folder.  I'll try your second link, tks, but not until next week now.

#7 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:07 AM

I can belatedly report that I have removed all vestiges of MS Office "web components" (?) in Add/Remove Programs but this has not changed anything.  I then progressed to the MS Fix it approach, downloaded and tried to run 015CTRRemove.diagcab.  However Windows [XP] could not / would not recognize and run this file and then referred me to various other options on the web, none of which seemed particularly accessible.  I don't feel competent to try an approach which involves making manual changes to the Registry [Method 4] - and of course there may not be any Office / Excel 2003 relics there which could otherwise have been responsible for Excel 2007 persistently going through its Setup / Configuration routing at each boot.  >> Case for buying a new PC? -:(

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,214 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:35 PM

The FixIt won't run because there is something in your current registry settings that it preventing it from running. Unfortunately, Microsoft isn't very helpful about how to address this, other than telling you to go in and fix the registry yourself. As you noted, you're not comfortable doing that, and I don't recommend it if you aren't. If you still have the Office 2007 installation media, you could try uninstalling and reinstalling Office 2007 again. No guarantee that would fix it, but it might.

On the other hand, while XP was a fine OS, it is just months away from it's end of life -- pretty soon, if you have an issue and call Microsoft to try and fix it, they'll flat out tell you XP is no longer supported, even if you have XP Pro or Enterprise. That also means no more security patches or hotfixes, even if someone uncovers some new, unknown vulnerability. Yeah, might be time to upgrade both the OS and Office. Even 2007 is getting a bit hoary.

#9 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:39 PM

I was wondering if an equally valid approach might be to try to "fix" Office / Excel 2007 rather than 2003 which - superficially at least - appears no longer to exist on my hard drive. Fix in the sense of repairing what's there rather than uninstalling and reinstalling the whole program which might be a bit drastic and have unforeseen consequences the way these simple things often do.

Another thought was to request a "HiJack-This" analysis but I have never used this service and don't know what you have to do to qualify.

My relatively modest demands were quite satisfied by 2003 and I didn't really appreciate any net increase in benefit from 2007 - least of all the ribbon menus.  I suspect in my cynical way that the same will be true of later Offices as the creators try to introduce new gizmos to persuade folk to upgrade - but with the downside of added complexity.

Yes the warning signs are out for XP though in truth I can't ever remember calling MS on any problem issue and getting any kind of an answer whatsoever (so I would't lose any sleep over that being withdrawn.  It is different of course with general issue MS XP patches and hotfixes if these cannot be provided by the various AV / Security programs instead.

My worry is that if / when I move to Windows 7 or later (8 is the one to avoid???) some of my long established programs (Goldmine) may no longer work through lack of integration or compatibility.

#10 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,214 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

That is another option. Again, no guarantee that will work, as there are apparently still traces of 2003 in your registry, at least. But it can't hurt to try, and it might even do the trick.

Not sure Hijack This is appropriate. That's more of an antivirus/spyware tool. It might help ID where 2003 is lurking in your registry, but unless you are good at reading log files, you might not be able to interpret the data.

Antivirus will continue to provide signature files if installed on an XP machine. However, Windows updates won't provide you will anything useful once full support for XP is gone. So you'll only be partly protected.

I would recommend Windows 7. 8 is still designed more for touchscreen devices rather than PCs. You might be able to run older programs in compatibility mode -- that is, set it so the computer runs the program as if it were running on XP rather than 7. This link refers to Vista, but 7 also has this function: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows

You should also check here -- http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/Home -- to see if those programs can run in Windows 7 without having to use compatibility mode.

#11 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:00 PM

"That is another option. ... But it can't hurt to try, and it might even do the trick."  Are there any particular 2007 Excel fixe(s) that you would recommend me to try?  Before I tried some configuration fix I read about in a PC magazine (it didn't fix it) but can't remember which one it was now.

Windows 7 in compatiblity mode might be my salvation. Must bookmark your link-tip.

#12 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,214 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:24 PM

"That is another option. ... But it can't hurt to try, and it might even do the trick."  Are there any particular 2007 Excel fixe(s) that you would recommend me to try?  Before I tried some configuration fix I read about in a PC magazine (it didn't fix it) but can't remember which one it was now.

This may help re other repair options for Office 2007: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924614

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users