Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When I recover deleted files, are there supporting files also?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Paradiddle11

Paradiddle11

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:41 AM

Hi, I used Puran to recover some deleted files from my external hard drive and when I open some of the files I get the following message:

"This document could not be registered . It will not be possible to create links from other documents to this document."

The documents still fully open and they look like they are all there. Also, when I look at the properties of some of the folders they say there is 0 bytes in them. I did the recovery twice, once selectively with only the files that I thought I needed such as .doc and .pdf, and again with everything including files such as .cab . chm .dwg .hlp .mdf. Two identical recovered folders from each recovery say they have a different amount of data in them.

My question is: are there supporting files that need to be recovered along with the .doc and .pdf files to fix the issues and to make sure i have recovered everything, such as the .cab .chm etc?  I didnt the extra files were necessary but on further research they might be files needed by word. Are they only needed for the program and not individual files?

Thanks for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:36 PM

Check if the service "DCOM Server Process Launcher" is set to Automatic and running. Start->Run->type Services.msc, scroll down until you find the service. Also check to make sure the "Remote Procedure Call (RPC)" service is set to Automatic and running.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users