Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to own or run a chat room / site?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 cornflakes2

cornflakes2

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:07 PM

Hey guys, I'm just curious and want to know how I can own or maybe take over a video chat room that is currently running and owned by a company.

***You can skip this preamble if you like (just go down to the bottom)***:
Here's some background history:  I've been an avid chatter since the days of Excite Virtual Places and then Yahoo Public Chat rooms.  But as most "good" things in life, they close down or get shut down.  Excite VP used to be free and then got owned by another company that turned it into a paying site.  Yahoo Public Chatrooms was probably the biggest and longest running public chat room service and I used it for over 10 years.  What was good about it was the fact they had hundreds of rooms with easily a million chatters that logged in each day from ALL OVER the world.  Yes, there were spam bots and things like that, but if you just ignored it, it really wasn't a problem at all.  I don't buy the excuse that they shut it down due to spam issues.  To me, it just seems like a lot of these good public domains where one can chat anonymously, and speak freely, webcam, voice chat, share files, share images, play games together, etc (you could do everything there) are getting shut down left right and center (there are whole bunch of other sites that have shut down in the last few years) all claiming it was due to finances / not profitable.  I find that hard to believe with the sheer size of people that still used yahoo public chat rooms.  Sure, the popularity was waning in America as everyone started to move over to FB, Twitter, and Skype, but user base was still ENORMOUS globally.  

I've tried to look around for other public chat sites that were similar to yahoo public chat rooms but none of them lived up to it.  They either had such a small user base (20 chatters or less), only 1 or 2 rooms (no categories, no hobbies/interests), and those 20 ppl would often be buddies part of a clique who log in everyday and chat together for 8 hours a day anyways so you can't engage with them.

Also, if you look around, all the leftover chat rooms are back to old school technology. It's just a simple BOX with text of messages.  There's no option to share files/images, post links or images, webcam, voice chat...they don't even have a display pic/profile...it's just a user name and text.   I was shocked and frustrated to find that these were the only sites remaining with 21st century technology.  

Now yes, I know about the new video chat sites like omegle, or chatroulette, or oovoo, and the usual FB, Twitter, Skype, Google +, but the problem with these sites is that you have to share your whole life online.  Yes, you can make fake FB accounts, but making a FAKE account versus simply wanting to use an anonymous account are TOTALLY DIFFERENT.  I don't want to make FAKE accounts to chat anonymously, I just want the option to log in and use any user name I want without having to have my whole life story, albums, friends list, what i did 2 minutes ago statuses and where I was last night online just to chat.

All of these newer mediums are aiming to put your whole identity online in order for you to do something so simple that Yahoo Public Chat Rooms once offered for FREE without any commitment of tying your account to all your information and life postings.

So, I found a site called video chat rooms dot org...I won't post the link (not sure if that's allowed and I'm not advertising it), and I found that it was one of the best ones out there post-yahoo.  It's still relatively small and I don't think it will ever grow to anything large, but what I like about it is it offers webcam chat, along with regular text chat, voice chat, posting/sharing files and images are also allowed (although they recently changed it so that only registered (free) users can post whereas before any guest could).  They don't have a lot of online users at one time (generally 10 - 15 during slow hours and upwards to 50+ during peak hours), but I feel it is less restraining and limiting than most other chat rooms.

This made me think, is there way for me to either 1) replicate this sort of chat room style and applications and make my own chat room site or 2) buy this site off them and own/run it myself?

If any of the above is possible, I would want to do it because I wouldn't shut it down.  I'm afraid any day now, that site will shut down too just like all the others did and I'll be left again to turn to either the FB/Skype/Twitter world or use the really out-dated, limiting chat rooms (that only allows for text chats).

Can anyone with expertise in this field check out the site (video chat rooms dot org (http://www.video-chat-rooms.org/)  and tell me if something like that site can be replicated or if the template can be purchased?  It doesn't seem like an overly advanced layout...it's rather simple, but it just provides all the options that makes one feel free as one should in a public room.  I want to preserve that if possible by owning it or making my own?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users