Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Repair Loop

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 ZzyzxDFW

ZzyzxDFW

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:39 PM

Good evening.

I am trying to repair a friends computer that is stuck in Windows Repair Startup. 

When it boots up I have two options

1)  Windows Repair Startup (recommended)

2) Launch Windows Normally

If I chose Windows Repair Startup, I see the spalsh screen, then I see wallpaper, but nothing else.  No icons, windows key does not work.  However the mouse is responsive. 

If I choose launch windows normally, I see the Windows splash screen, it appears to load, but then reboots itself.

I am unsure if it's 32 or 64 bit.  

Any suggestions?  My friend thinks it may be a virus, but I can't even boot it up to run Maleware Bytes to confirm. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:07 PM

Boot into advanced boot options. (F8 on startup,) repair your computer, then choose last known good configuration. See if you can boot normally after that.

If not, in advanced boot options..use system restore to restore back to an earlier point in time.

if you want to try and run malwarebytes, i suggest trying to boot into safe mode and see if that works for you, then run malwarebytes from there.

-alex

Edited by acerts04, 16 October 2013 - 08:21 PM.

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

#3 ZzyzxDFW

ZzyzxDFW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:41 PM

Safemode just loops back to the first menu. 

Last known good config doesn't work either. 

#4 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:47 PM

Can you restore back to a system restore point? Also what is the make and model of the computer? And do you have a windows 7 cd?

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

#5 ZzyzxDFW

ZzyzxDFW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:05 PM

Can you restore back to a system restore point? Also what is the make and model of the computer? And do you have a windows 7 cd?

I do not have a CD.    Restore is not an option when I hit F8 (Just last known good)

#6 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:16 PM

Is this an OEM machine? When you boot into f8, do you have a "repair your computer" option at the top? When you choose that it will bring you to system recovery options. Then try to system restore to an earlier point from there

#7 ZzyzxDFW

ZzyzxDFW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:22 PM

It is a Gateway MS2285.   Hitting F8 gives me a screen that says

Safe Mode

Safe Mode with Networking

Safe Mode with Command Prompts

Enable Boot logging

Enable low res

Last known Config

Directory Services Restore Mode

Debugging Mode

Disable Auto restart on System Fail

Disable Driver signature enforcement

Start windows normally

Last known config does not work. 

#8 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:39 PM

on the gateway, upon startup press alt+f10 that should bring you to your recovery options screen. if you want to set the computer back to factory settings you can choose a factory restore  option from that menu. otherwise you are going to need to use a windows 7 cd to use the repair tools from it in order to get to startup repair, system restore etc. you can create one, but i am not sure of iso download links. maybe someone here can help you with getting that together. but if there is nothing that needs to be saved from the computer, and you just want to restore it fresh, i would go ahead with the factory restore.

Edited by acerts04, 16 October 2013 - 10:46 PM.

#9 ZzyzxDFW

ZzyzxDFW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:14 PM

on the gateway, upon startup press alt+f10 that should bring you to your recovery options screen. if you want to set the computer back to factory settings you can choose a factory restore  option from that menu. otherwise you are going to need to use a windows 7 cd to use the repair tools from it in order to get to startup repair, system restore etc. you can create one, but i am not sure of iso download links. maybe someone here can help you with getting that together. but if there is nothing that needs to be saved from the computer, and you just want to restore it fresh, i would go ahead with the factory restore.

I have the iso file.   Don't want to do a factory restore (yet)

#10 ZzyzxDFW

ZzyzxDFW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:26 PM

I found a windows boot disc.   Ran repair tool, and just like before.  I get a desktop and that's it.    No icons, no start menu.  Windows key does not work.  

#11 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:36 PM

Did you try to system restore from the windows cd repair tools?

Might have to do a clean install of windows with your cd

Edited by acerts04, 16 October 2013 - 11:50 PM.

#12 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:49 PM

Forgot about something, when you get to the blank desktop screen, try pressing ctrl alt delete. Then task manager, file< new task
Then in the task box type explorer.exe.

See if that starts up

#13 ZzyzxDFW

ZzyzxDFW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:53 PM

Did you try to system restore from the windows cd repair tools? Also run memory diagnostics and open command prompt from windows cd and run chkdsk /r

Might have to do a clean install of windows with your cd

I didn't even see Restore with the tools, just repair.         How do I run memory diagnostics?   I would love for a command

prompt but haven't found a way. yet.  

#14 ZzyzxDFW

ZzyzxDFW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:54 PM

Forgot about something, when you get to the blank desktop screen, try pressing ctrl alt delete. Then task manager, file< new task
Then in the task box type explorer.exe.

See if that starts up

Ctr+Alt+Del brings nothing up.  It's just wallpaper.   Mouse moves, but left or right click does nothing.   I can turn on caps/num lock but Windows key, or Ctrl+Alt+Del is unresponsive

#15 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:11 AM

Ok when you boot from your windows 7 cd, after you choose your language and click next you will get to a screen where it says "install now" in the lower left corner there is an option to repair your computer, click that and it brings up your system recovery tools, from there you can do a system restore, start up repair, open command prompt etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users