Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Start up

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 mpetro1

mpetro1

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:33 PM

Hi,

I'm having an issue with a slow start up after a reboot. It takes approximately 14 minutes to load after a start up! Also loading a web page in Internet Explorer takes approximately 1 minute before it fully loads!

I posted in "Am I Infected" in Bleeping Computer. I was told there is no Trogan, Malware or Virius, thanks to the help from Broni! He suggested I post in the Windows forum.

I have a Dell Inspiron 546 with Microsoft Windows XP Professional. Operating System Version 5.1.2600. Processor-- AMD Phenom™ 9750 Quad-Core Processor. Processor Speed 2.34GHz. 4096 MB of Memory (RAM).

I have a High Speed Internet connection plugged in with Ethernet cable.

Just wondering if you could give me some advice to speed up the start up. I know Windows XP is out dated and any help will discontinue in April of 2014. Should I upgrade to Windows 7 or 8? I would like to try to fix this slow start up problem before I think about an upgrade.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thank you for your time!

Mike

If you need more information, just let me know!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:15 AM

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Windows-XP-Startup-Faster

Here's a pretty neat step by step for the 'not-so-basic' user. Personally I wouldn't start hibernation mode myself like it suggests, but I have other ideas about that. Some great tips though.

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:52 AM

i would sugges a scan of the harddrive using a utility from, the hardrive manufacture

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:45 AM

Where does the system bog down during boot (at what point does the delay occur)? Also, other than web pages loading does the rest of your system run okay once it is up and running?

#5 mpetro1

mpetro1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:01 PM

Sorry I took so long to get back to you!

So far I followed the steps in wikihow.com...... the link TsVk! posted! I also did the scan of the harddrive and everything passed!

When I ran the Scandisk check It corrected some errors in the uppercase file. Also it did not need defragmentation.

There was test that could not run, it was the Smart Short Self Test. All it said was "cannot run", but it still ran the rest of the test. Not sure what the Smart Short Self Test is or if it needs to be tested.

When rebooting the system.........

Black Windows Screen----- It stays on this screen for 2 minutes and 46 seconds.

The Welcome Screen----- It stays on this screen for 1 minute and 38 seconds.

Icons start to show on screen----- It takes 7 minutes and 55 seconds before I can use the internet.

From the time the reboot starts untill I can use the internet the total time is 11 minutes and 39 seconds. Which before the wikihow instructions it took around 14 total minutes to be able to use the internet.

Even after everything is up and running the computer still takes longer than normal to perform any task.

1 example is........ if I goto the control panel than add/remove program it takes longer than usual to be able to do that.

I hope this helps and I hope you understand everything I wrote. It makes sense to me because I wrote it. If you need more information just let me know.

Thanks Again,

Mike

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:31 PM

1) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

2) How long does it take to boot to safe mode?

#7 mpetro1

mpetro1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:44 PM

I did have a malware problem a while back, but it has been cleaned with the help of Broni.

I installed a new phone service called MagicJack, but I think I installed that after having the problem with the slow start up.

I booted in safe mode and it took 7 minutes and 29 seconds.

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:52 PM

If the SMART test won't run there is a really good chance your hard drive is failing.

#9 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:24 PM

I would pull all external devices off then see if it makes a difference.
Ive been reading were magic jack slows computers down because of its
need of power and the usbs don't supply enough. although mj says not to use a hub
Ive read people do. (a powered usb hub)

#10 mpetro1

mpetro1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:23 AM

What can I do if my hard drive is failing?

I removed MagicJack and uninstalled it with Revo Uninstaller. I rebooted the computer 2 times and it still took a long time to boot before I could use the computer!

What is a powered usb hub and how and where can I get one? I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it!

Also is there any test I can perform to see if magicjack is slowing down the computer. And is there a test I can perform to see if the hard drive is failing.

If the hard drive is failing can I replace it.

Sorry for the stupid questions!!

Mike

#11 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:26 AM

What can I do if my hard drive is failing?
-------

buy a new one and reinstall windows
---------
    I removed MagicJack and uninstalled it with Revo Uninstaller. I rebooted the computer 2 times and it still took a long time to boot before I could use the computer!

It doesn't sound like magic jack is the problem
----------
    What is a powered usb hub and how and where can I get one? I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it!
---------
    the link shows what a usb hub is/looks like ,they can be bought anywhere computer accessories are sold .

http://www.amazon.ca/powered-usb-hub/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rd=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Apowered%20usb%20hub
----------
    Also is there any test I can perform to see if magicjack is slowing down the computer. And is there a test I can perform to see if the hard drive is failing.[/quote]
--------
    you need to find out who manufactured you hard drive and go to there web site to get the utility software to check the drive
---------
   If the hard drive is failing can I replace it.-- YES

Sorry for the stupid questions!!

there are no stupid questions .

Edited by caperjac, 20 October 2013 - 06:31 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:26 AM

Hard Drive Diagnostics:

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 

Make sure you select the tool which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.

Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.

If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurnhttp://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), to make the CD bootable.

For Toshiba drives, see here: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=ServicesSupport/FujitsuDrivesUSandCanada/SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

#13 mpetro1

mpetro1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:51 PM

I ran the hard drive Quick Diagnostic Test on my hard drive and it passed. So now I'm running the Extended Diagnostic Test and it's still running-----it's been running for almost 20hrs and it says it has 80 more hours to go before the test is complete. Just wondering if that is normal for the diagnostic test to take that long. Let me know if I should cancel the test or let it continue to run?

Thanks,

Mike

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:07 PM

What tool/utility are you running?  Whose website did you get it from?

FWIW:  SeaTools for DOS can be used to test any hard drive...not just Seagate/Samsung/Maxrtor.  It will recognize and run the long/short diagnostics on any drive...some of the other options included with the utility will only work with Seagate-manufactured drives or are only available for Seagate drives.  For diagnostics, SeaTools for DOS is fine for any drive, regardless of manufacturer.

I tested a 250GB drive last week....took about 75 minutes.  The size...and the condition...of the drive determine how long it takes, IME.

Louis

#15 mpetro1

mpetro1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:08 PM

Here is the link I am using from Allan(a few post ago).

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 

Ok do you think I should cancel the other diagnostic test I'm running and try the one you recommend?

I have a Western Digital 640GB.

Thanks

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users