Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Programs fail to open, consistant blue screen

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kjh10

kjh10

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:23 PM

I am at my wits end with this problem.

On and off, for the past several weeks, my HP desktop computer has been exhibiting a strange bug where no programs will open. Clicking a link on a taskbar, desktop, or Start menu shows the related program opening onto the taskbar briefly and fading out with no explanation. This computer has multiple accounts, and each account (except for mine) will run perfectly normally during this time. Additionally, attempts to fix it previously have utterly failed, and rebooting the computer had the possibility of a blue screen when Windows started up. In the past, this issue has appeared without cause and resolved itself after several hours of inactivity.

This time, though, it seems a little worse. Every other time I reboot my computer, I can guarantee a blue screen will appear on startup saying that crucial files have been affected. The next time I do, there is no blue screen, but my account will have the typical issue. If I run startup repair, I get a 10 minute wait before it says it simply cannot do anything to fix my computer and leaves it at that.

I can run the computer in safe mode, which is what I'm doing now. My first instinct was to run MalwareBytes and CCleaner, but neither found or identified anything worthwhile.

I am fairly confident that I can use the Registry, as I have done so successfully on a few occasions in the past, so if this is possibly registry based, I could manually do this.

If there is hope, please respond.

I would appreciate any and all help. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:00 PM

anything new added to the computer? external or internal? new printer? new mouse? anything?

try and go ahead and bring up the blue screen and jot down the number of the stop error ie: 0x00000a8 post it on your

next reply. Also goto device manager and report any yellow exclamation marks if any. do you have a windows cd?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

List last 10 Event Viewer log

List Installed Programs

List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users