Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 & Crash and Pain

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 fritzey

fritzey

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:28 PM

Hi - I experienced a number of errors when trying to start windows 7 on a Dell laptop.

I've attached screenshots of the window application errors I received but now I'm just getting blue screens and can't boot even in safe mode.

I'd appreciate any help in direction or next steps. I hope my hard drive isn't toast

Thanks!

-Fritz

Attached Files

Edited by fritzey, 16 October 2013 - 03:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:58 PM

did you upgrade the memory or change the hard drive? It is possible the hard drive has failed.

Try reseating memory and insure your hard drive is properly seated.

#3 fritzey

fritzey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:34 PM

No I didn't add any memory or make any changes to hard drive.  I'll try reseating the memory and report back.

#4 fritzey

fritzey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:17 PM

Re-seated the memory, still won't launch windows and wont allow safe mode.

#5 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:32 PM

Is this a new install of w7 on an older machine? If so what was the previous operating system? and what is the dell system.

#6 fritzey

fritzey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:42 AM

Hi Roodo -

No it's a completely new machine, only about 6 months old, a Dell Vostro 3560 with a Win7 Premium, Western Digital HD with 500GB

I got in touch with Dell last night, they said based on the error, the hard drive is bad and wanted to replace it.  

Is there any way to recover the data outside of sending it out to a high-priced service?

I'm self-employed so that cost puts a hurt on expenses!

#7 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:06 AM

Dell has some pretty decent onboard diagnostics to help narrow down potential problems.

I believe you can access it by pressing F12 for the one-time boot menu upon start up and then go to diagnostics. Let it do its thing and see what it finds to be the culprit.

Did this error happen after installing a certain application? If so, you can try to access the system recovery using the windows 7 disk and try a system restore to roll back to a date prior to this happening. Here is a guide to walk you through the steps.

If System restore doesn't work please choose Command Prompt. When command prompt opens type sfc /scannow to do a windows file check for any corrupted windows files.

*When opening the Recovery console, if you look up top it will say "Operating System: Windows 7 on (D:) Local Disk." Yours may be a different letter. The recovery console remaps the letters so C is actually D and vise versa.*

After doing the sfc /scannow please do a chkdsk /r for me using the same method that you did with the sfc /scannow. Type chkdsk /r D: and let it go through all the stages *There are 5 stages.*

Once again your drive letter may be different. If it is simply replace D: with your drive letter.

Let us know the outcome please.

Edited by chrisd87, 17 October 2013 - 11:28 AM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#8 fritzey

fritzey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:43 AM

Hi Chrisd87 - 

Last week, I tried CHKDSK but it just keep rebooting. 

The only application I installed lately was Microsoft MapPoint 2009.  

I can't even get to a command prompt now, to try CHKDSK or SCANNNOW again.

When I do F12 diagnostics it shows errors for the hard drive.  Error code 2000-0142 Validation 90740

I did this with Dell which made them decide to replace it. I'm unable to do a roll back because I never set-up a restore point.  

-Fritz

#9 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:53 AM

I can't even get to a command prompt now, to try CHKDSK or SCANNNOW again

What is the laptop doing that's causing you to not be able to boot from disk?

On a side note it may be worth trying to restore your bios to default settings. When booting up the laptop repeatedly press F2 to access the bios. Then simply use defaults or apply defaults to load the default settings. Once that's done click exit and see what happens.

If the hard drive has truly died on you, then it won't show up in the bios. I would physically check all the connections that connect the hard drive to make sure none have came loose.

2000-0142 error means the drive is failing its own self-test routine.

If you have a hard drive adapter then you can simply pull the data off. If your drive is an IDE drive then something like this would work. If your drive is a SATA drive then something like this would work.

Edited by chrisd87, 17 October 2013 - 12:01 PM.

#10 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:14 PM

Hi Fritzey

It could be possible to try and recover your data. You could create a Linux live cd and attempt to recover the data from that.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7408626_linux-windows-disk-recovery.html

#11 fritzey

fritzey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:38 PM

Thanks not sure.

I am having difficulty setting BIOS to defaults.  I hit F2 as advised and then F9 to restore defaults and then F10 to save and exit.

It boots to Windows Error Recovery screen, then any option I choose:Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking or Safe Mode with Command Prompt starts windows and then blue screens again.

#12 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

You never answered why your laptop won't boot from disk? I'm hoping we could try to perform chkdsk /f /r again against the drive to see if it's fixable.

If you put in your windows 7 disk and then press F12 for the one time boot menu and then choose the dvd rom drive, does it ask you to press any key to boot to cd/dvd? If it does, are you allowed to get to the recovery options on the disk?

Edited by chrisd87, 17 October 2013 - 03:47 PM.

#13 fritzey

fritzey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:02 PM

I don't have the Windows 7 disk, I made a recovery disk from another machine but it said it was compatible.  Not sure why they are both Win7 64 bit.

When I went through the routine, with CD in anbd hitting F12, I get the message "non-system disk or disk error, Replace and press any key when ready"

Then it sends me back to "Windows Error Recovery" screen which results in another blue screen.

#14 fritzey

fritzey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:06 PM

I was finally able to get back to the command prompt.  When i typed in sfc /scannnow i get:

There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run sfc again.  

When I try a reboot to launch windows, it either stalls or blue screens.  

#15 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:40 PM

If you were able to launch the sfc /scannow then you should be able to launch the chkdsk /r "drive letter" option. Can you try to run that command and see how it goes?

If you can't get that command to run, then I would try to get your data off the drive and replace it.

Edited by chrisd87, 18 October 2013 - 04:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users