Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

kids desktop updated? now ungodly slow.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dialout

dialout

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:21 PM

i saw a few similar threads, but here is my situation. I noticed that the computer the kids use had an update bubble up...i did nothing with it. then several hours later i heard the computer click off. Not shutdown, just off like a hard boot. After that it would not restart. A few times it went threw the dell splash and looked like windows was loading, but it would just shut off, again no shutdown process just off. So i figure maybe something got loose and i go over all the connections from power cord to reseating all the cards inside. Amazingly it came back on, said it crashed, and resumed normal startup. However it is very slow. I realize it is old, but it worked fine within a few days of now. it has taken me almost 10 mins to type this...i keep typing but the letters show up 1 at a time and are probablly about 10 words behind what i am actually typing.

the task manager now shows at 100% usage, and trying to do anything takes hours. I tried running system tools like defrag and cleanup and it took hours for each one. I tried running cleanup/ fix/ antivirus programs i have used from this site in the past and have found no obvious problems...however as another example of how slow...i ran super antispyware...and after 3 hours it had scanned roughly 300 files.

the kids use this computer for homework, and printing assignments so I like to try and keep it running since it is just used for fairly basic stuff. watching youtube videos is the most computing power they use on this one. that is also why i would rather try to fix as opposed to buy a new one. Its hard to justify the cost. any help

would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:35 PM

Please post the make and model of this computer, and the operating system.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 dialout

dialout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:57 PM

Dell dimensions 2300...windows XPpro sp3

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:51 AM

I know that this computer is very slow at this time, but we need more information.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When the  FileHippo website opens, click on Download latest version in the upper left pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dialout

dialout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:07 PM

i had speccy and was going to post that the first time...but didnt know if you were supposed to post logs in this thread or not...

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/cb3Lz3NH2GTdOYqsbzycHDO

it shows no optical drive or audio at this time...strange

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:17 AM

This is the first Speccy log I've seen with so much information missing.

Click on the Start button, then right click on My Computer, click on Manage in the drop down menu, click on Disk Management.

You will see a window similar to the one below.

The C: drive is the drive which your operating system should be on.  

Please notice the tabs at the top of the Disk Management, I need the information listed under the following tabs.

Status (health)

% Free  (free space on the hard drive)

Edited by dc3, 19 October 2013 - 09:33 AM.

#7 dialout

dialout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:41 PM

21c7zvl.jpg

healthy and 21%free

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users