Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some Tips And Tricks Appreciated.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Synthhead

Synthhead

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:05 PM

Hi, First of all Thanks for this wonderfull forum, i think ive said it before but cant say it enough.
Sorry if i posted in the wrong section.. Its not really a specific question, just need some thoughts and ideas..

Ive just formated my computer, ive installed all "security software" Kaspersky Internet Security, SuperAntiSpyware,Malwarebytes Anti-Malware etc etc..

I was thinking as ive just formated the computer, im sure there should be stuff i could do to prevent the need for a another format.. A thought crossed my mind, a Restoration/Backup software that creates a restore point seems useful at this point as the computer is newly formated..

I know Windows 7 have System Restore are there anything better out there and more usefull.. not that its bad, just asking.

Any other ideas on precautions i can take, id be happy to hear..

Thank you, appreciate your time spent to help out.
PS/ Synthhead

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:23 PM

Back ups are definitely a good idea, since you have reformatted,etc. Windows 7 has has vastly improved in this area from the previous versions. I have a System Repair Disk and also made System Image Recovery Disks using rewritable DVD (takes about 4 to 6). Update twice a month.

You can also look into freeware such as 'Replicator" from karenware.com

These work for me. Other members will no doubt have their preferences.

Good Luck

#3 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:32 PM

It's not free, but I have been using Acronis  http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/trueimage/index.html

I back up monthly to an external HDD.

Also, think about this, suppose someone broke in and stole your computer, containing all your precious photos and information, or you had a fire or flood.

That is why some people make a copy of their entire system onto a series of DVD's, and store them somewhere safely "off site", such as a bank safety deposit box.

#4 RobinHoodSnr

RobinHoodSnr

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:00 AM

Also, think about this, suppose someone broke in and stole your computer, containing all your precious photos and information, or you had a fire or flood.

That is why some people make a copy of their entire system onto a series of DVD's, and store them somewhere safely "off site", such as a bank safety deposit box.

100% excellent answer. I myself do computer repairs as well and tell folks about backup, etc...but do you think I do it? NO!

...whish I wasn't so lazy....as without a backup...brother...if disaster strikes....one is DOOMED!

...We all know something...but we will NEVER know everything :grinner:

Cryptlocker "Process" remover...will NOT delete Cryptolocker, only the processes...( a "safety precaution" I took for those who still want to "try" paying the ransom to get their files back. DON'T FORGET TO MONITOR YOUR TIME LEFT BEFORE PAYMENT! )

("KillCrypt" will automaticly open %appdatadir%...just guide this to Cryptolocker-Virus and double-click on it. Remember...if you "restart" your system, the processes will be back...use this only for emergencies if you want to create a quick document. While this processes is killed, your docs wont get infected, but WILL be encrypted (unusable) when you restart the PC/Laptop OR clicking on the Virus again!!!)

#5 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:00 PM

I  started backing up regularly only about a year ago after a Windows system restore failed me.

Some people even encrypt all their backups, so that if they ever fall into the wrong hands, they are unusable.

#6 Synthhead

Synthhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:13 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys,  appreciate it :)

#7 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:55 AM

What i do with all my servers is just create a task Schedule (Windows server allows one time backup but not schuled backups, crazy i know) where you execute the following command line below which backs up to a secondary harddrive.

C:\Windows\System32\wbadmin.exe start backup -backupTarget:\\targetMachine\E -include:C: -allCritical -vssfull -quiet

With Windows 7 just create a weekly routin in the backup and restore section in control panel.

Odviously your Targetmachine  would be the name fo your computer and the E drive is the target drive to store the image and the C is the drive i want to backup.

Hope that helps

#8 kosmonaft

kosmonaft

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:07 AM

You cant format the partition where is your operating system if it is running. IF you are not paranoid there are online backup solutions for just a few buck per month.

http://furg.net/ - Free online games 

#9 Coco2014

Coco2014

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:27 AM

I use it too. It's a good soft for all OS

It's not free, but I have been using Acronis  http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/trueimage/index.html

I back up monthly to an external HDD.

I like to play soccer games online and i'm using gta 5 cheats for Grand Theft Auto

#10 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:39 AM

↑ Same here.  I've been using Acronis (2011) for about 3 years, mainly for periodic cloning.

I also use Macrium Reflect (free ver) as a 2nd tool for imaging and cloning.

Clonezilla is my 3rd tool although I've only used it a couple of times.

#11 Coco2014

Coco2014

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:48 PM

Acronis is a very good backup/ restore  sofware. Making a clone of the pc is the best solution.

↑ Same here.  I've been using Acronis (2011) for about 3 years, mainly for periodic cloning.

I also use Macrium Reflect (free ver) as a 2nd tool for imaging and cloning.

Clonezilla is my 3rd tool although I've only used it a couple of times.

I like to play soccer games online and i'm using gta 5 cheats for Grand Theft Auto

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users