Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ram problems

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 ter67

ter67

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:27 AM

Hi i`m trying to suss out what is wrong with my pc but cant seem to put a finger on where the problem is coming from so hope someone can give me an idea to whats wrong as i`m not to great with computers.

I was having problems with ram at first so i went out and bought two 2gb sticks of ram thinking that would be it sorted ,but when the guy that has been fixing my pc`s for around 8 yrs came around to put the sticks in he said that the motherboard wasnt reading the memory correct and could only see 1 stick of memory. He tried everything `but my pc is only seeing the 1 stick and its still slow,then he says it might be my "graphics card" that isnt working right and i may need a new 1 does anybody know if this is correct or have i got something else wrong ?? thanks ..............

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:06 PM

What is the make and model of this computer?

Are you able to boot into Windows?  If you are, please do the following.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When the  FileHippo website opens, click on Download latest version in the upper left pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please post the make and model of the RAM you purchased.

Edited by dc3, 16 October 2013 - 01:09 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ter67

ter67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:59 PM

Hi dc3  thank you for everything my friend and i have sent what you have asked for although i have never

checked for the make of ram before so hope all the details you need are here and again thank you for your help its

much appreciated ...

type of ram-samsung 824` 2gb 800mhz  256x4

an additional number was also on the ram stick which is- k4t16044qq-zcf7... <<<<dont know if you need this number

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/X2Poi65mGk4wYp82Ll4MVuD

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:20 AM

Was the 512MB module the original module installed at the factory?

The reason that I ask is because the two modules shown in the Speccy are 400MHz,  specifications for this motherboard state that there are two modules compatible with it, PC2-5300 (667 MHz) and PC2-6400 (800 MHz).

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 ter67

ter67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:42 PM

Hi dc3  yeh m8 its the same 2 that came from the factory and the 2 new ones i bought my friend said the motherboard wasnt recognizing the 2 only 1 stick of ram as i call it lol but the guy has been fixing my pc`s for yrs and says he cant figure it out at all .

i just noticed you asked me for the make of the pc in an earlier message >> it`s a "HP PRESARIO COMPAQ SR5601UK" .

thanks again bud ..........

#6 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:31 PM

The memory modules your buddy bought aren't compatible with your system. The quickest way to see what memory is compatible with your system is to reinstall the original RAM, then visit http://www.crucial.com/ and use the System Scanner tool to give you a list of usable upgrades.

Edited by slgrieb, 19 October 2013 - 08:33 PM.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:15 AM

What is the make and model of the modules your friend purchased?

Crucial only has one module suggested as being compatible with you computer.

Computer memory upgrades for HP - Compaq Presario SR5601UK Desktop/PC from Crucial.com

#8 ter67

ter67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:07 PM

Sorry slgrieb but i never said my buddy purchased any modules. What i said was the 2 new sticks i bought "my friend" said that the motherboard wasn`t recognising the 2 new sticks i bought `only 1 of them.
i looked in the link you sent dc3 and as i said i dont know much about computers but what i can read of it i think its saying that my pc will only read 3 gigs is this correct?and do you think ive bought the wrong type of ram as my pc is realy slow and it keeps freezing`and takes forever to browse. thanks again .....

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:27 PM

The 3GB limit is based on the fact that the address space for a Windows 32-bit operating system is only 4gb.  Other functions use this space as well, so by the time it is all added up you will wind up with an amount between 3GB and 3.5GB of space for RAM.  You can have more RAM installed, but only the amount of the address space left will be recognized.  If this were a 64-bit operating system, the determining factor would be the amount of RAM the motherboard would support.

As to whether this is the correct RAM or not can't be determined without knowing the make and model of these modules.  Please list the make and model of the RAM modules which were originally installed, and the modules you purchased.  What I pointed out previously is that the specifications for this computer list the PC2-6400 (800MHz), and the Speccy indicates that the modules installed are PC2-6400 (400MHz).  This could explain why your computer is running slow. 

Edited by dc3, 20 October 2013 - 05:27 PM.

#10 ter67

ter67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:42 PM

theres a label on the stick that came with the pc from the shop
that says>>>> "samsung 512mb 1Rx16 PC2-6400U-666-12-C3"
M378T6464QZ3-CF7-0807

The new module i bought has a label that says >>>>"samsung 824` 2GB 800mhz 256x4
K4T16044QQ-ZCF7

i tried putting the 2 original "samsung modules" that came with the computer back into my pc and even though its slow `its a lot faster than having the 2gb module and 1 of the 512mb modules in.

Hope this helps you out dc3 and thanks again.

Edited by ter67, 21 October 2013 - 08:37 AM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:06 PM

I'm having a difficult time finding complete specs on the 2GB Samsung module.  

In order to get the information needed please download CPU-Z.  

When the website opens you will see "Download Latest Version", click on this.

Please install the 2GB and one of the 512MB modules in this computer.

After you have installed the program and opened it click on the SPD tab.

You should see an image similar to the one below.  This was created with the snipping tool.

aasnip_zpsf0b05173.png

There is a box titled Memory Slot Selection in the upper left portion of the image with Slot #1 with a down arrow, this is outlined in red.  The arrow is used to switch between the two slots which the modules are installed in.  I would like to have an image of both slots.

I would like for you to use the Snipping tool to create an image of the two pages of the SPD.

To open the Snipping tool click on the Start orb, then type snipping tool in the search box, then press Enter.  

To use this have the image you want to copy on the desktop, click on Snipping Tool.  

A small white cross (+) will appear on the screen, move this to the lower left corner of the image you want to copy, press and hold the mouse and slowly move it to the right and upwards.  You will see a red rectangle form around the image, when you have the image isolated that you want, release the mouse.  

After you have the image you will go to File and click on Save As, Pictures will open with this image, when it opens give it a name then click on Save.    

You can post this image in your next post.  Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you made with the Snipping Tool, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

BCreply1_zpsc36d42fc.png

#12 ter67

ter67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:40 PM

Hi dc3 hope this is everything you asked for and thanks ........

Attached Files

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:14 AM

That is the information that I was wanting to see, well... almost.

In my last post I had requested that you install one of the 2GB modules, and one of the 512MB modules so that I can see the specs for both modules.

#14 ter67

ter67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:29 AM

Attached File  slot no1.PNG   23.87KB   0 downloadsAttached File  slot no2.PNG   30.28KB   0 downloads

hi dc3 sorry about that my friend i didnt realise what i`d done till i read the reply .so heres the new images with both types of ram in them thanks again bud .

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:00 AM

Have you tried using only the one 2GB module?

Try putting the 2GB module in the first slot and then boot the computer.  Then put the module in the other module and boot the computer.

Does the computer start with the module in the two slots?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users