Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suggestions Wanted on No Browsing Ability

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HeroicSupport

HeroicSupport

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:06 AM

When I run into a Windows 7 PC that has a good WiFi or Ethernet connection and the network is functioning (other devices on the network can access the Internet), and the Windows 7 machine cannot browse the Internet, my basic approach to resolve isn't as fast as I would like.

Could I get some feedback from the experts out there to streamline this process please?

Here's the usual process:

1. Basic check for a proxy (internet properties/connections/LAN settings)
  2. Boot to Hitman Pro Kickstart (or Sidekick)

If we cannot boot to Hitman Pro Kickstart we are usually not in the best spot to move forward. This is where the process needs work. On several occasions the customer cannot press the 1. or 2. key booting ether from the Hitman Pro USB or CD/DVD (Sidekick).

At this point I am usually looking to run something like AVG ZeroAccess removal tool or Malwarebytes Chameleon. We cannot run Hitman Pro (not the boot version) becasue it requires an Internet connection.

I see many people are running a process that includes, AdwCleaner, Junkware Removal Tool, ComboFix, Malwarebytes... I also know that from running Rkill lately that it does some ZeroAccess detection and repairs some Windows Defender related issues....

I hate not having a solid process for this issue... I really need the help of anyone out there in the know.

Thanks,

Eric

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HeroicSupport

HeroicSupport
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:01 PM

FYI... We just added RogueKiller to the process to dig out the real Proxy crap... Nice tool. Does anyone know if AdwCleaner does just about everything that RogueKiller does? Specifically at the proxy and DNS levels?

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:37 AM

Hi -

Please read the RogueKiller Review Here. It is a much heavier tool than AdwCleaner, which is a Toolbar / Minor infection cleaner, if you check the logs and read the tool descriptions.

Most of these tools require you, in some small way, to interpret the logs. Without understanding the output of these tools, you are just throwing spears at a moving target, and hoping that one will hit. This is why we require DDS or OTL logs (depends on the forum) so that we can get a basic idea of problems, and understand when the computer is finally clean.

I am in no way saying that you may not understand these programs, but I am just explaining how we decide on what tool is needed and whether a heavy or lighter tool is all that we need. The Expert helpers start with a basic school course and then move to full time helping, but they still need to update skills as they go -

Thank You -

#4 HeroicSupport

HeroicSupport
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:01 AM

That is the UNITE program, correct? How do I go about certifiying. If I need a recommendation or something to get it, this is me (http://www.amazon.com/Planning-Windows-Riders-Professional-Library/dp/0735700486), Eric Cone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users