Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Putting Edges On Pictures

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Luvkitty

Luvkitty

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 28 April 2006 - 10:54 PM

Hi!

I'm not sure what to call this thing that I need help with, but the only way I can think to describe it is the fancy edges on photos. I read several blogs, and a lot of people put pictures in the text. The pictures often have a unique edge to them. Here is an example:

http://i3.tinypic.com/wquj3q.jpg

See how the edges are kind of soft and fuzzy? I've also seen kind that have a texture to them. Are these done with something called brushes? What are brushes exactly, and how do I use them?

Thanks so much!!

Michele

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 29 April 2006 - 12:10 AM

What program are you using to edit your photos?
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 Luvkitty

Luvkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 01:12 AM

Oooops! I forgot to mention that...sorry. I'm using GIMP. Thanks!

Michele

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 12:02 PM

Gimp....ummmm.....errrr....... :thumbsup: .....TBH, I'm not familiar with Gimp. I use Photoshop, which isn't free (actaully, it's rather expensive), so a lot of people don't have it.

Just hang out here, some one who knows Gimp will help you. Maybe I should download Gimp..... :flowers:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 12:35 PM

It costs $100 but this is the easiest I could find unless you want Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop.
Maybe someone knows some freeware...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/d.../feathered.mspx

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 12:47 PM

If you have Google's (free) Picasa2, you might try effects/soft focus. Adjusting the "size" and "amount" on the sliders may give you what you want.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 29 April 2006 - 07:46 PM

I don't know GIMP very well but that looks like it might be a buttonize effect. Or you could create the effect yourself -Use the rectangular selection tool.
Select the whole image (select all).
Modify the selection to Contract by the number of pixels you want the border width to be. (you should now have a rectangular selection evenly spaced inside your image).
Invert the selection so only the border is selected.
Feather the selection if you want a soft edge.
Apply a Gaussian Blur chosing the strength to give the effect you want.
That should be it.
:thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 29 April 2006 - 07:50 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 Luvkitty

Luvkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:31 PM

Hi Rimmer!

Thanks for the directions, but I'm stuck on a few steps. Here is what you told me to do.

Use the rectangular selection tool.
Select the whole image (select all).
Modify the selection to Contract by the number of pixels you want the border width to be. (you should now have a rectangular selection evenly spaced inside your image).
Invert the selection so only the border is selected.
Feather the selection if you want a soft edge.
Apply a Gaussian Blur chosing the strength to give the effect you want.
That should be it.

Well, I went to GIMP, opened my picture that I wanted to work with, opened the tool box and selected the rectangular tool, and then selected all. After that I'm stuck.

I went through the drop down menus, and I don't see anything that says Modify or Contract. I don't really understand this step either, even if I could find those words. Would you be able to break that step down a bit more for me?

I also checked for the words, Feather and Gaussian Blur, but I didn't see them either. Where would I find those?

Would this process be easier with another program that is free like GIMP is?

Thanks!
Michele

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 02 May 2006 - 10:40 PM

Okay, I worked out how to do the same thing in GIMP 2.2, here's what I did:

Adding a hazy border to an image in GIMP:

1.Open the image.
2.Choose the rectangular selection tool.
3.Select the whole image. (Select - All)
4.Shrink the selection. (Select - Shrink, set the number of pixels, tick 'shrink from image border')
5.Invert the selection. (Select - Invert)
6.Blur the selection. (Filters - Blur - Gaussian Blur RLE set to 10 pixels for example)
7.To lighten the selection use Tools - Colour Tools - Brightness-Contrast and adjust the sliders to suit.
8.Deselect. (Select - None)
9.Save.

Some of the selection options are available on buttons in the 'Selection Editor' window. (Dialogs - Selection Editor)
If a softer edge to the border is required, after step 5 choose Select- Feather and set the feather to 20 pixels for example.

Alternatively you may prefer this effect:
1.Open the image.
2.Select Script-Fu - Selection - Fade Outline.
3.Set the border size and adjust the fade sliders if required. Leave the tick boxes as they are and click OK.
4.Open the layers window. (Dialogs - Layers)
5.Create a new layer (click the new layer button) and fill it with white.
6.Drag the new layer below the original.
7.You may want to select a colour from the image to fill the new layer.
8.Save.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 02 May 2006 - 11:14 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#10 Luvkitty

Luvkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 04:56 AM

Thanks, Rimmer! I'll try out your directions tomorrow and let you know how I did!! Have a great day!!

Michele

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users