Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot access Recovery- Possible Solution?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:02 AM

Wanted some advice before I do something that can't be undone...

Client notebook (Inspiron 1520, Vista 32 sp 1)- apparently the notebook crashed during a windows update install, now Vista will not install any updates. I was told that initially it wouldn't boot afterwards, but client also stated he "fixed the hard drive and it worked for a day". Then he got a error that prevented logon 'Interactive logon process has failed. Please consult event log for more details'. I fixed that using a Vista boot disc and selecting "Repair". Not exactly sure what the cause was, but likely related to the Update crash.

There's no personal data on the notebook to save, so I decided a factory image restore would fix the errors (already tried SFC, no issues. Don't want to attempt to reload bootsec). Easy peasy, right? Welllll....The Startup Repair is apparently gone- When I select "Repair your Computer" from the options it boots to the desktop instead, and doing a hard reset to get the Repair or Load Normally option, when I select Repair the screen blinks and goes right back to the Option menu (Repair or Load Normally).

Now, this is a Dell and it has a Recovery partition, and it works, if I could just get to the Recovery Console, which doesn't. It doesn't have Dell Datasafe Local Backup 2.0 installed, or it was removed by the client.

If I use the Vista disc and do a clean install, and I can then access Startup Repair, will it find the Recovery partition and allow me to do a Recovery?

Currently, the Vista disc doesn't see the Recovery Partition. The reason I want to utilize the Recovery is that its an OEM installation and there's software there that I want to make sure the client still have access to.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:27 AM

Try doing a repair installation, also known as a in place upgrade.  This is not suppose to effect the clients data or personal files.

You can find good instructions here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Netghost56

Netghost56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:55 AM

Great! I'll give it a shot. I just ran Fix-it :blink:  and it found a bunch of errors in Update, corrupt files, corrupt registration in Crypto. services, and corrupt service registration info. The app said it fixed everything but not the Service Registration info. It said it reset it, but it was not resolved.

Does it sound like the HDD has been cloned? I haven't heard back from the client. The Event Log goes back to the 2007. The Windows update history has about 70% failure rate, which I attributed it to the client probably shutting down the notebook before completing install or download.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:14 AM

Are you seeing any update errors?

If you are, please post them.

Which Fix it did you run?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Netghost56

Netghost56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:57 AM

I ran the "Fix it when Microsoft Windows Update is not working" app. I didn't find the exe file name for it.

As stated previously, the Update history is riddled with fails, though some could be attributed to the notebook being shutdown before completion of download/install. I've been trying to install Service Pack 2 but keep getting ERROR NOT FOUND messages, which, coupled with the other issues led me to attempt a Recovery.

I'm working on doing the Upgrade now...it first told me to uninstall Powershell, which was installed during the time period of the Logon error. Powershell doesn't show in Add/Remove Programs or under Installed Updates, so I renamed the folder and I'm trying to Upgrade now.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:00 PM

Try running Microsoft's Update Readiness Tool.

Windows Vista 32-bit (x86)            http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=504

Windows Vista 64-bit (x64)            http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=1540

#7 Netghost56

Netghost56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:21 PM

I managed to do the repair install after renaming the Powershell folder.

Now I'm waiting to see if Windows Update will run.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:58 AM

Let us know how it goes.

#9 Netghost56

Netghost56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:50 AM

This morning: Repair install was successful, however now there is NO option for Repair your Computer in the Boot menu frown.gif
Updates are successfully installing so far (110 as of this writing). I'll breathe a little easier when SP 2 installs with no issues. Still trying to figure out how to reestablish contact with the Recovery drive. It'd be a shame to waste it.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:05 AM

however now there is NO option for Repair your Computer in the Boot menu

Are you referring to the Advanced Boot Options?

#11 Netghost56

Netghost56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:33 AM

Yes.

And when I do a hard reset it doesn't show up there either.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:30 AM

Try the following command from the elevated command prompt.

copy and paste reagentc/enable in the elevated command prompt, press Enter

This was suggested for Windows 7 which is based on Vista, so it may work.  If it doesn't, no harm.

#13 Netghost56

Netghost56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:52 AM

The reagentc command wasn't recognized, but thanks anyway.

After two tries I got SP 2 loaded successfully. It's too bad that you can't access the Startup Repair/Recovery but since I did a Repair install I didn't lose any of the currently installed OEM software. And at the age of the system I don't think its practical to try a hardware upgrade.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users