Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pc not booting after installing new power supply (pictures)

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 max87

max87

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:05 AM

I just bought a new thermaltake smart M850w to go along with a gigabyte 7950. this is the first time i install a new psu and graphic card so i'm not sure if the wiring is good so i'm going to include pictures.

this is my system specs that i was able to find just the psu and gpu are different : http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...

http://s22.postimg.org/68547ahc1/photo_3_1.jpg

1 of the wire from the black jack is connecting to the cd drive and the other to the hard drive as seen in the next pictures

http://s24.postimg.org/6jzw5i811/photo_2_1.jpg
http://s7.postimg.org/6ekzchzxn/photo_5.jpg

the wire from the red jack of the psu is connecting to my graphic card

http://s21.postimg.org/vi33lqj5j/photo_4.jpg

and then the 24 pin and 4 pin to my motherboard

http://s11.postimg.org/4noptvv6r/photo_3.jpg
http://s24.postimg.org/4xaok9vz9/photo_2.jpg

i don't know what am i doing wrong. when i put the psu in computer, plug the power cable and turn the switch of the psu to on, nothing happen. Anyone would have a solution?

http://s16.postimg.org/mt6q5g6b9/photo_1.jpg

X(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:21 PM

Turning the PSU power switch to the on position is not going to start the PSU.  When you press the power button on the computer it shorts the two pins on the motherboard where the power switch connects, this is what starts the PSU.

In the 24 pin connector there is a green wire, this wire and a black (negative) wire are what is shorted by the motherboard to start the PSU.

Did you connect the four pin CPU power connector to the PSU?

I would go back and make sure that all of the power and data connections are properly made.

Edited by dc3, 17 October 2013 - 06:30 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 max87

max87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:17 PM

Thanks for your reply, i checked the complete wiring then i put my old 300w power supply /w old graphic card. The PC is booting fine, accesing windows 7 without any issue. What i did next, is to remove my old psu and put back the new thermaltake psu with the exact same wiring, kept the old graphic card inside the pc for a test and still.. not powering up at all.

.. it looks like the problem is now isolated to the thermaltake psu. However, I still don't know how to solve this. It seems far fetched that I got the bad one from the factory.

#4 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:38 PM

Might sound silly but is your supply switched all the way to the proper voltage.

#5 max87

max87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:54 PM

As per the specifications of the psu, it has an automatic full range (100V-240V) AC line voltage selection so it doesn't need to be adjusted.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:56 AM

sounds like a DOA power supply to me... It just happens.

I once had 2 CMOS batteries die on me in one day... pretty unlikely stuff.

#7 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:13 AM

Sorry, sounds like a dead PSU. If you want to test it further you could jump the green and black wire on the 24 pin

connecter using a paper clip, supplying the unit with a load (a fan connected to the molex would do) and power up

the unit if the fans run you could test further by testing each connecters power.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:32 AM

If you want to test it further you could jump the green and black wire on the 24 pin

connecter using a paper clip

This was addressed in the second post in this topic.

If the old PSU is working it is obvious that this isn't a problem with the motherboard, so there is no reason to use the jumper to initiate the start of the PSU.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 max87

max87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:17 PM

Hi guys, i'm back.

I returned the thermaltake psu and bought a corsair GS700. I unboxed the psu, connected everything the right way. Still not powering up... i then took out the corsair psu from the computer, unplugged all components and jumped the green and black connectors from the 24pin cable and the fan of the corsair psu powers on for about 2 seconds and then stop. Only the psu LED stays on.

Any idea if I got another unfunctional psu or is something wrong with my damn computer. It seems unusual though that the fan of the corsair stop spinning after 2 seconds. I followed this video :

skip to 4:30 you can see him jumping the green and black wire and the fan will keep running until he removes the electrical jumper.

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:28 PM

:scratchhead: I dunno bro... It's at this stage I normally start testing components on a different machine.

#11 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:39 PM

throw a load on it. Just a fan on the molex I didn't see it on the video. So it is
a head scratcher all right. See if that does anything.
Most need a load the smarter ones my turn off or down after sensing no load

#12 max87

max87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:18 PM

Hi Roodo, it doesn't seem that i can connect a fan to my psu, both fans from my computer are connected to the motherboard and the connector from the fan is the same female connectors on the wires from the psu. Is there any other component that i can connect to test the psu with load?

#13 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:31 PM

Use your dvd, just plug the supply in it will do.

#14 max87

max87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:24 PM

Use your dvd, just plug the supply in it will do.

Did it and the dvd player stays powered on, now it raises even more questions. :smash:  just a reminder, if i connect my old 300w psu everything is working fine and windows is booting and everything is normal. I don't know if it's possible that new psus won't work with my motherboard? the motherboard that came with the computer when i bought it last year is an Acer ipisb-vr 

#15 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:31 PM

Put the old PSU back in the machine and sell it...

Edited by TsVk!, 22 October 2013 - 11:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users