Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Satellite L675 heating problem

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:47 PM

This unit was working fine then one day it overheated and shut down, the fan seems to be spinning fine and I used compressed air to blow out the vents. The CPU usage with showing with both Speedfan and Task Manager shows very low, almost non existant when the laptop is idle. I can feel the lower middle area under the laptop getting a little warm soon after the laptop is turned on. So if it's not the fan or processor then only thing let I am thinking would be the graphics chip? If so, is there any way I can know for sure or any way I can narrow this down to see what's exactly at fault?

Edited by hamluis, 17 October 2013 - 05:09 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:40 AM

Hi -

Please post a snapshot with Speccy for more system details -
How to Publish a snapshot with Speccy <<-- Full Directions Here

There are also Cooling Pads for laptops (Google them)

#3 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,556 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:21 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/hnXB0muy0SOlHjwo3FDh0Vt

#4 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,556 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:39 AM

Some things are not right here, if anyone can take a look at the screenshot in my link below please you will see that while Speecy is showing the CPU temp at 52 degrees, Task Manager is showing only 5% and Speedfan 6.4 degrees? Also any ideas why Speedfan is not showing the fan's RPM?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/62/52pe.png/

Edited by mystic12, 16 October 2013 - 07:44 AM.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:48 PM

52C is entirely normal for a laptop CPU, even 'idling'. There is no need to worry until the temperature starts heading north of 75C.

For Task Manager and Speedfan to show slightly different CPU usage %ages just means they took the reading at slightly different points in time, even when idling CPU usage is not static. A possible reason for Speedfan not to show fan rpm is that the fans do not have sensors that speak to Speedfan. I don't think you have an over-heating proble at the moment, even your hard drive temperature is entirely normal.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,556 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:44 PM

I agree, I have been running a high resource music software for 12 hours now and the temp readings are the same and the bottom part of the laptop is now very warm but not hot enough that I can't leave my hand on it so maybe that's normal? Maybe blowing out the vents and reloading the OS might have solved whatever issues caused it to shut down?

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:11 AM

There are a few things that do not add up

Maybe blowing out the vents and reloading the OS might have solved whatever issues caused it to shut down?

S.M.A.R.T
= Note at the start of the S.M.A.R.T. test -This is were I would start to be concerned
Power On Count: 4,510 times - Power On Time: 111.2 days -

We need to find a HDD test or replace it to be safe ..........

Someone may have a link for you -

Your Reinstall Date / Time ?

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bitComputer type: Notebook Installation Date: 10/15/2013 6:09:33 PM

I do not have a current link to a disk test tool, but it needs one.........

#8 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,556 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:26 AM

So you're suspecting the HDD may be faulty? I found this on the net:

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

but it shows:

This diagnostic tool is available for use by customers who feel their Fujitsu Branded Toshiba hard drive may not be operating normally. It is only designed for use with Fujitsu Branded Toshiba ATA/IDE hard drives.
There are 2 diagnostic modes:

• Quick Test
    About 3 minutes, does random seek/read tests.
  • Comprehensive Test
    About 30 to 100 minutes, also performs surface scan.

*Supports Windows 2000/XP/Vista

Since the above info does not mention support for win7, should I still use this test?

#9 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,556 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:40 AM

I called up Toshiba, they had me install a diagnostics tool from Seagate which I ran and it said tests "passed", here is the link to the screenshot I took:

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/9056/388u.jpg

#10 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,556 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:29 PM

Tell me guys, is there any utility I can run which will monitor temps and produce a log so after some hours I can check the log or graph to check for spikes? Reason I am asking is I saw the CPU usage in Speedfan spike to over 70 one time then went back to normal.

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:46 PM

I do not know anything about this vendor however this is the type of cooling pad that could help since the fans are movable. That will allow them to direct their air into the Air intake on the laptop as well as any other open vents on the bottom.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-iDock-C2-3-movable-fans-laptop-cooling-pad-with-4-ports-usb-hub/613190832.html

495543847_959.JPG

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#12 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,556 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:51 PM

Thanks, will look into it! Just for future knowledge guys, if chkdsk will repair bad sectors then I am thinking it would be better a option than any diagnostics tool which will only diagnose?

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:59 PM

Yes and No

Chkdsk will try and save the information in a bad sector however it will not tell you much about the hard drives health.

A hard drive can have many different problems besides bad sectors. I Always use the drive manufacturers diagnostics when I suspect a bad hard drive. There are a couple of exceptions to that rule. Both HP and Dell computers ship with Hard drive diagnostics all ready to use.

Good Luck

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#14 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,556 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:02 PM

so under what condtition should someone run a chkdsk if the diagnostics is the better option or would it be best to run the chkdsk only after and if the diagnostics shows a problem?

#15 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:11 PM

In my opinion it does not hurt to run chkdsk with the option to test the drive surface. However that will consume a modest amount of time each time it is run. The Diagnostics is another tool.

Having said that. I can not recall the last time I ran chkdsk or diagnostics on my Internal hard drives. With external hard drives if Windows 7 wants to check the drive for errors when I plug it in, I let it.

When I worked for a computer repair location doing all brands as well as factory warranty for two major brands I would run diagnostics if there was a problem that could be drive related.

I have switched all my Computers except one to Intel SSD drives a while ago. They are reliable and no moving parts. For data drives I use regular internal and external drives. Both my laptops are SSD only for the speed and because I have a bad habit of drumming my fingers on the laptops next to the touchpads and that is where most of the drives are mounted.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users