Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hp dv9700 boot up problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bgsd

bgsd

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:11 PM

I am hoping someone can help me. I have a hp dv9700 that originally would not start up at all. The lights would blink once and then nothing. So I re-seated the RAM, hard drive, dvd, battery, etc. with no luck. So I figured it must be the GPU. I figured at this point that it needed to be reflowed. I carefully heated the gpu up for 14 seconds. Then when I put the laptop back together I pressed the power button. The lights came on, fan came on, but no screen. I finally got the screen to work by repeatedly powering off and on with  the screen adjusted at different angles, until I found one that worked. If I moved the lcd away from this position while booted up and back the screen would go black, then back on. Next I tried external monitor, which works consistently every single time. Boots up no problem. I am wondering if the problem is inverter, backlight lamp, lcd cable, or still GPU. I did not have a heat sensor so I did my best with it. Is it possible that one of these other parts have also went bad? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:18 PM

Sounds like a monitor problem. Here is a post that seems to be similar to your problem, same laptop:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Display-and-Video/Hp-dv9700-laptop/td-p/2285879

#3 bgsd

bgsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:53 PM

Thanks for the response. I looked at the post and this person bought a new lcd to install which did not help. I have decided I am not going to buy a new lcd screen. I have ordered a lcd cable and a inverter for it in hopes one of them will solve the problem as they are inexpensive. I am just wondering if I did not heat up the gpu enough. I doubt I overheated it because the computer works. I think if that were the case it wouldn't power on at all.

#4 bgsd

bgsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:32 PM

Well I am happy to say that this computer now works. Put the new lcd cable in and powered it up and the screen came on. It does not matter which inverter I use new or old, so it wasn't the inverter. Guessing video cable got damaged from overheating or excessive opening/closing. I just hope it will last.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users