Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 - Open File Using Program "App"

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 bretmj1

bretmj1

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:04 PM

Hey guys,

Recently my beautiful windows 8 "Open file using ____ program, colorful app menu" has been replaced with the old file helper box which gives you 3 options: Search the web, read about file type, use existing program.  I am not sure what made this change, though recently I downloaded a few windows 8 video players to test out opening .gp files. I did download Malware, which I believe I deleted and am now stuck with this.  If I choose "Search the web for program" I am directed to this filesolver.com website, if I choose "Use existing program" it does absolutely nothing.  

I updated java, as I thought maybe this would help, but now when I try clicking on a file and "Open with", the file helper just flashes open and closes.

My question is, how can I get that windows 8 app program search function back?  I have been searching high and low to no avail :(.

I dont know any better way to describe this, but let me know if I can explain in further detail.

Thank you so much ahead of time for your help.

Bret

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bretmj1

bretmj1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:27 PM

Hey guys,

This post is regarding my last post about this problem.

I think a better way to put it is, I am unable to select which program I want to open unrecognized files with. The windows 8 'open with' app interface is not functioning and i cannot use it at all.

Please help!

#3 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

I don't really understand what you had in the first place.

I have Windows 8 Pro - tell me what I should be looking for, in my ignorance.

#4 bretmj1

bretmj1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:21 AM

Try opening a file that windows does not recognize, it should have just the "blank page" for it's icon.  When you double click it, windows will ask you how you would like to open it.  You should see a colorful menu which gives you a few program options for opening the file -- That is what I am no longer able to use. 

Does this make sense?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

What type of files are you trying to open?

Are you receiving any error messages?

What is the website that you are directed to?

How did you remove the malware?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 bretmj1

bretmj1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:36 PM

Thank you for your reply.

For example, I am trying to open a 0 File, basically a file that is not recognized.  These particular files can be opened by Microsoft Word or notepad.  Prior to a couple weeks ago, I was able to open these just fine by selecting Microsoft Word or Notepad from the Windows 8 'Choose a program to open this file' menu.

I am not receiving any error messages. When I double click the file, I see the File Type Helper box flash very quickly and then disappears.

I was redirected to Filesolver.com - Once I removed this malware I started noticing that the File Type Helper box would flash and then disappear upon trying to open one of these files.

I removed the Malware using Malwarebytes and another windows security scan found here on bleeping computer. 

Does this help?

Thank you,

Bret

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:45 PM

The first order of business here would be to make sure you are no longer infected.  I would suggest starting a topic in the Am I Infected? What Do I Do? forum.

Once it has been determined that the infection is cleared we can resume making a repair.  If this computer is still infected, trying to effect a repair may only make things worse.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 bretmj1

bretmj1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:53 PM

Thank you.

I am quite certain that I am no longer affected. I have been Malware/Virus free for the last couple of weeks now.

What should be my next steps in the repair?

#9 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:41 AM

Thanks dc3.

bretmj1

I haven't come across a file yet on my system which cannot be opened, no wonder I was confused, nevertheless:
If you have not already done so, check out the Default Programs interface found in the Control Panel

Set defaults
Associate filetypes

Investigate all options, make any necessary changes, maybe you'll get your former options back.
Of course, you get a similar effect going through the 'open with' menu, when it's working properly.
Set the checkbox to remember your setting as the default application as appropriate, if it's there.

You may find this useful:

Default Programs Editor (Win7/8 - 1mb Standalone - Pin it to Start)

If it's a registry problem, you'll need someone else's expertise.

Pete

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:55 AM

To replace the "Open with" context menu follow the instructions at Windows Seven Forums.

This works for both Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Edit:  Are you using a registry cleaner?

Edited by dc3, 22 October 2013 - 07:58 AM.

#11 bretmj1

bretmj1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:22 AM

Thank you both for your help.

However, neither option worked.  The "Open with" context box was never 'removed' per say, it's just not working. When I attempt to 'Open With' a box opens and closes right back down.  Also, setting the defaults does not seem to be the problem here.  I believe the problem lies in the function of 'Open With' itself.  I should be able to double click on a file type, and if windows doesn't recognize it (ie. a 0 File), the Windows 8 Open With menu should pop open.  

Anything else we could try?

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:30 AM

If you looked at the website I suggested you would see that there are two options there, one to remove the context menu, the second to add it.

Try removing it and then add it.  The file could have simply become corrupted.

#13 bretmj1

bretmj1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:42 AM

I did exactly that prior to posting my last response. It did not seem to do anything that I could notice.  I have restarted the computer as well since then.  I also have run the app diagnostics tool by windows and, although it says it fixed a couple things, it did not fix this particular problem.  I am still seeing the instant open-close of the open with context box when i double click the 0 Files.

Thanks

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:57 AM

Try rebooting between the deletion and addition.

Are you using a registry cleaner.

#15 bretmj1

bretmj1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:05 AM

I am not using a registry cleaner. I will try what you recommend.  

If it does not work. What could we try next?

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users