Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista / Windows 8 question

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 JulieLynn

JulieLynn

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

Can someone tell me if it is possible to run Vista 64bit on a pc running Windows 8?   Let me explain what I want to do.

First off, I hate Windows 8. As much as people tell me I will get used to it, I won't. It is not what I want at all.  So... what I want to do is either take out the hard drive on my new pc running 8 and put in my hard drive that has Vista on it out of another pc. Or, reformatting the drive in the new pc with 8 on it and installing Vista.   Both OS's are 64bit, the motherboard is 64bit.  So it looks as if it should not be a problem.  

However, I was told that this would not work. My question is why not? A motherboard running XP can run a hard drive loaded with Vista, as long as the motherboard "bit" system is the same. So why would this not work?

So... does anyone know if it will or will not work. And if it won't work, why? It just makes no sense to me. 

I am going to post this in the Windows 8 section as well because I am not sure if I am posting in the right section. :o)

Thanks in advance!

Julie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:17 PM

When you take a hdd with a Windows operating system installed from the computer it was originally installed on and install it in another computer you are asking for major problems. The excerpt below is from a Intel article which describes in detail what happens. The article also mentions a reference to an article by Microsoft, it can be seen here.

Moving a hard drive with Windows already installed to a new motherboard without reinstalling the operating system is not recommended.

If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer you may not be able to start Windows. This is true even if you move the hard drive to a motherboard with the same chipset, as different hardware revisions can cause this issue as well.

Additionally, moving a hard drive to a new motherboard may not exhibit any errors until you install new IDE drivers. This is because each chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you change your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 JulieLynn

JulieLynn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:19 PM

Okay, that makes sense.  But can it be done and then work through drivers problems etc?  And what about the reformatting and wiping clean the hard drive with Windows 8 on it and installing Vista on it instead?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:47 PM

If you have a Windows Vista installation disc and a valid product key, yes you can downgrade to Vista.

You can use a program like Darik's Boot and Nuke to overwrite the whole hdd, then you will have a clean hdd to install Vista on.

Because of the reasons listed in my last post you will need to make the installation on the computer it will be running in.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 JulieLynn

JulieLynn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:06 PM

Okay thanks! I do have a Vista installation disk. 

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,578 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:25 PM

FWIW:  A system made for Win 8...may not support drivers for the Vista O/S.  OEMs don't necessarily care about backward  compatibility with earlier O/Ses, IMO.  I would not assume that Vista drivers are available.

Louis

#7 JulieLynn

JulieLynn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:47 PM

Thanks, yeah, I was told it simply would not work. Which is very disappointing as I really do not like Win 8.  I didn't just go out and buy a new pc. The mother board on mine went down and I had no choice and Win 8 was all I could get.  The thing I hate most about it is the fact that it does not support my POP mail from Windstream.  I do  not want a hotmail or gmail or yahoo email. I want to use my POP from my DSL provider.  I know I can use other programs to check it, but I want it pulled down to my pc and stored there. Not left on the server and only read on some other program.  If it were not for that, I might be able to get used to Win 8. I doubt it very much, but it would at least help me adjust.  Right now I have a brand new pc sitting there and I am on my sons pc that runs XP, which is an OS that I love more Vista. If I had known how much I would not like Win 8 I never would have bought the pc at all.  Oh well, what is done is done.

#8 JulieLynn

JulieLynn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:50 PM

But I am going to give it try! It can't hurt to try and it might work. So it is worth it to me to at least give it a shot.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,578 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:16 PM

Well...the boys at MS are working on Win 9 for all those who find fault with Win 8 :).  I suspect that Win 7 will become the "new XP" unless Win 9 is an improved version of Win 8 for those who don't change just for the sake of change :).

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/software/operating-systems/windows-9-release-date-news-and-rumours-1029245

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 October 2013 - 08:19 PM.

#10 JulieLynn

JulieLynn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:23 AM

I would like to say that whatever they come up with will be far better than 8, but I know that isn't true, it could be worse.  I have not had any experience with 7 at all. XP is really the OS that I have liked the most. Compared to 8 however I would take Vista any day over 8. I really just do not like anything at all about 8.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:49 AM

What is the make and model of your computer.

The following is an excerpt from a Windows article regarding the use of POP.

The Mail app, which comes with Windows 8 and Windows RT, doesn't support adding email accounts that use POP (Post Office Protocol). If your email account uses POP and you want to get it on your PC, here are some options:
If you want to use the Mail app and keep your current account, contact your email provider and ask if they can change your account to use IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) or EAS (Exchange ActiveSync). This change is especially useful if you want to get to your email in multiple ways (phone, personal PC, work PC, etc.), as those protocols do better than POP at keeping track of new, unread, and deleted messages and automatically saving your messages. Some providers might charge extra to switch, so make sure you check before switching. 

Edited by dc3, 16 October 2013 - 09:01 AM.

#12 JulieLynn

JulieLynn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:12 AM

It is a Dell, brand new, I have had it for about a month and half.  And yes, the email is the biggest thing for me.  I will call Windstream and see if they can do that.  If they could it would help a lot.  

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:11 AM

Please post the model of this Dell.

or

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When the  FileHippo website opens, click on Download latest version in the upper left pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

#14 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:30 AM

Windows 7 is basically a much better version of Vista. You would have better luck putting 7 on it instead of Vista. However I understand you have to work with what you got.

Sincerely, Blake.

7 year Computer Hardware + Software Technician.

Operations Technician at a retail company.

Rhythm guitarist for the band Headspill.

:guitar: 

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:38 AM

One thing you can try is to add the Classic Shell Start button and menu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users