Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will not boot.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 AzureDrag0n1

AzureDrag0n1

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:28 AM

Yesterday my computer screen strated to glitch in a uniform colored pattern and soon froze. I tried to restart but the screen continued to glitch and would not boot up correctly. It got as far as the windows xp loading screen and then would freeze. After I tried restarting it would not even go to windows anymore and the computer made beeping noises. One beep followed by another beep a few seconds later. One beep was slightly longer than the other. Restarting it again did the same thing. However that was the last time it made any beeping noises and now the computer simply starts and lights come on but nothing else happens. That is it. Complete silence internally except for the fan spinning over the CPU heatsink.

I had a problem with this computer before where the PSU went bad and replaced the 500 watt PSU with a 600 watt one a few months ago and that fixed the problem.

What could be the problem now? Thanks for any help.

- Nvidia GeForce 9800GT 512MB
- Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 2.66 GHz
- G31 mATX motherboard
- 4 GB DDR2
- 250 GB hard drive

- 600 watt PSU

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,006 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:05 PM

First suspect would be memory. Try removing one stick at a time between attempted boots to find the bad stick.

Isn't that size of PSU a bit of overkill? I would think 300 watt would of been sufficient.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 AzureDrag0n1

AzureDrag0n1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:45 PM

I tried that but no luck. Just one stick then the other.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,006 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:31 PM

You can use a Linux Live CD to help trouble shoot. If the CD boots and displays on monitor then

I would think it is your hdd that is bad. Otherwise, it could be one of several items such as processor, mother board 

or graphics card.

The Linux Live CD could also help to recover files if it is a faulty hdd.

Suggested Live CD: slacko-5.6-PAE.iso

You can burn the image using Windows or ImgBurn.

Burn a CD or DVD from an ISO file

The Official ImgBurn Website

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 AzureDrag0n1

AzureDrag0n1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:25 AM

I managed to boot up the computer in safe mode. There are huge graphical glitches all over the screen. Sometimes there are green lines going diagnally and right now there are purple vertical lines. It is a little hard to read right now because of them. I have been reconnecting and disconnecting different components. Tried to boot up using the back up drive I had. Could not get far because it asked to activate windows for some reason. Reconnected the main drive and it managed to boot using safe mode. Going to try and burn the CD you linked. I no longer have spares to swap out power supplies and graphics cards to test which component is bad.

One thing comes to mind. I remember cleaning my computer components a while back. I took apart the heat sink for the CPU but I can not remember if I put thermal paste back on. Could that have caused the issue?

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,006 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:51 AM

Yes, overheating of the CPU could be the cause of one or more of your symptoms.

#7 AzureDrag0n1

AzureDrag0n1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:12 AM

Ok I used the Puppy Linux Live CD boot disk you gave me but it does not seem to do anything. Only notable thing is that it asked me to input "puppy pfix=nox" as a boot command but it just does the same thing as always. It goes through a process and then the computer restarts when all processes are done. I tried a few more times but it does not display anymore and gives periodic beeps before seeming to restart again. So I can no longer use the boot CD again.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,006 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:57 PM

I just burned the same CD (I have slacko only on a flash drive) and ran it to see when and if that command...pfix=nox...was requested.

I did not see that. Slacko booted right into the desktop in less than 2 minutes.

That command is to get into a terminal. If you see that request again, type pfix=ram instead. That will load Slacko only in memory. But, again,

you should not be seeing that request to type in a command.

Did you check to see if you did properly install the CPU? 

You know, both memory sticks could be going bad. Any chance you have a known good one to test with?

#9 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

Pull your video card and try to use the onboard vga.

#10 AzureDrag0n1

AzureDrag0n1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:02 PM

Using the VGA port enabled booting the slacko and I got into a Linux desktop. It took me a while to figure out how to connect to the internet. No graphical errors but I had to use the secondary monitor since primary monitor is not compatible with the VGA port. Is there anything I should do here now that I am in this desktop?

Also should the old thermal paste remnants be removed before applying a new bead or does that not matter?

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,006 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:38 PM

If you have been online longer than Windows would allow and the image on the monitor is good,

I would think your problems are with Windows corrupted files, monitor or hdd as that Live CD uses all

the other computer hardware.

Are you able to mount the Windows drive and view the files on it? Link to that drive should be seen on the Linux

desktop. Do you have another computer that you can test the other monitor on?

Yes, if you are going to replace the thermal paste you should remove the old paste using isopropyl alcohol and paper towels.

#12 AzureDrag0n1

AzureDrag0n1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:50 PM

Yes I can view files from the windows HD. No I can not test the other minotor on another compouter. It is a flat screen and not compatible with older computers. It is not a very old monitor and I doubt there is anything wrong with it. The only component that is not installed right now is the graphics card. But I fail to see how that would not allow a boot up. I am going to try booting up normally next.

Edit: Ok I booted up normally into windows without any problems. So I guess this means the video card is bad? How could a bad video card fail to make windows boot? I will try to replicate the problem now and use secondary monitor first.

2nd Edit: Ok using the grpahics card produced identical results with both monitors. Just having the card installed but using the VGA port produced the same results. Nothing would display on the monitor and the computer would go in an endless loop of trying to boot.

Connecting the monitor to the grpahics card would give graphical glitches and suppy would just try to boot up over and over but fail. Trying to boot windows it would freeze at the loading screen and I would have to shut down the computer.

I took out the graphics card and I booted up using the Linux CD and posted here. I think the next step I am thinking of is to take the graphics card to a shop and maybe test it or get a new one. The other possibility might be that the PCI slot itself is bad and the card itself is fine.

Edited by AzureDrag0n1, 19 October 2013 - 05:00 PM.

#13 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,006 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:51 PM

You could try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for the graphics card. Just remove the card so you can

boot into Windows and uninstall the drivers for the card. Shut down the comp, install the card, use the CD that

came with the card or allow Windows to find drivers. If that appears to be successful then go to the manufacturer's

site for latest drivers if the image is still unsatisfactory.

#14 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:04 PM

Curious what brand your PSU is and where you got it?

#15 AzureDrag0n1

AzureDrag0n1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:28 PM

I bought a new graphics card and that seems to have fixed the issue. Tried running a game but kept getting glitches until it eventually crashed into a BSOD. Unplugged the secondary monitor and had no further issues.

Anyway are drivers being bad really that common a cause? I often take a look at people's computers who had graphical problems and it has almost never been due to the drivers. Not in a general sense only issues with specific programs.

As for what brand I am not sure. I was mistaken it being a 600 watt power supply. I misread the labeling. Total power seems to be 700 watt. I think it might be a Apevia 700W. It has blue light coming out of the fan vents.

Looks exactly like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817148046

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users